| 9.5°C Belfast

Classy Candystripes make big breakthrough against Bohs

Derry City 2 Bohemians 0


It’s there: Aaron McEneff, with Ronan Curtis, after his goal. Photo@ Lorcan Doherty/Presseye

It’s there: Aaron McEneff, with Ronan Curtis, after his goal. Photo@ Lorcan Doherty/Presseye

Lorcan Doherty

It’s there: Aaron McEneff, with Ronan Curtis, after his goal. Photo@ Lorcan Doherty/Presseye

Derry City earned their first victory since mid-March with a comfortable win over Bohemians at Maginn Park last night. Bohs almost added to the Candystripes' woes with a goal on seven minutes, when Ben Doherty was caught out with a pass in behind to Paddy Kavanagh.

The former City man raced into the area but with team mates waiting for a pull back, he opted for the pass across the face of goal, with Jamie Doyle just inches from connecting.

But Derry came even closer on 11 minutes, as Ronan Curtis tested Shane Supple from close range. Aaron McEneff swung a free kick into a packed area and it went all the way to the back post where Curtis arrived unmarked but his effort was parried by the Bohs goalkeeper.

The game got the goal it desperately needed on 31 minutes.

Josh Daniels won a free kick on the right and another accurate delivery from McEneff again eluded the Bohs defence with Dean Jarvis well positioned to power a header past Supple.

Bohs responded well and forced a number of corners but crucially Derry held firm to take the much-needed lead into the half time break.

It really should have been 2-0 less than 10 minutes into the half. Rob Cornwall was too slow to clear, Nathan Boyle charging the ball down and racing through on goal. The striker was one on one with Supple but went for power rather than direction and blasted wide.

Another chance came and went for Derry on 64 minutes when the hosts produced a superb counter attack to a Bohemians free kick at the other end.

Boyle held off Cornwall and raced into the Bohs area, playing the ball right across the face to the in-rushing Barry McNamee but with the goal gaping, City's top scorer got underneath the ball and it flew over the open net, much to the disbelief of the big crowd.

But Derry kept going and got their reward on 68 minutes. Cornwall needlessly went into a challenge on Ben Doherty just inside the penalty area, giving referee Rob Harvey an easy penalty decision.

McEneff stepped up and drove the ball into the bottom corner, racing off to the other end of the pitch to celebrate.

However referee Harvey had ordered the retake of the penalty due to an infringement, meaning that the midfielder had to do it all again. He did just that, switching sides to beat Supple again, and this time it counted as City went 2-0 up.

Bohs had little in the way of a response and City held on comfortably for a win that means they are fourth in the table, just three points behind champions Dundalk in third with a game in hand.

Derry City: G Doherty, McDermott, Jarvis, McEneff, McNamee, Monaghan (Holden 89), Curtis, Daniels, Boyle, B Doherty, Barry.

Bohemians: Supple, Fitzgerald, Cornwall, Byrne, Simon, Kavanagh, Brennan, Doyle (Casey 74), Morris, Poynton (Sule 74) Hayes.

Referee: Rob Harvey.

Belfast Telegraph