Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football

County Antrim Shield: David McDaid's treble yell sets up victory for Cliftonville against Ballyclare Comrades

By Stuart McKinley

David McDaid fired a superb hat-trick to give Cliftonville a perfect start to their defence of the County Antrim Shield.

The Reds made it two wins out of two since Tommy Breslin's shock departure last week, with McDaid scoring three times in the space of 29 minutes as they beat Ballyclare Comrades 3-1 at Dixon Park.

He grabbed his first from the penalty spot just after the half-hour mark. McDaid doubled the Reds' lead two minutes later and they looked like they would coast it after that, but Ballyclare hit back four minutes before half time through Randal Reid.

Comrades' hopes of a comeback were dealt a blow within 60 seconds though when Chris Getty was sent off for a bad tackle.

McDaid then completed his treble on the hour mark to seal the victory.

Brian Neeson was the Carrick Rangers hero in a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over Bangor. Joe McNeill's first-half strike was cancelled out by Richard Gibson and extra time couldn't separate the teams.

Neeson saved twice and then scored Carrick's fifth penalty himself as they won the shoot-out 4-2.

Cliftonville's north-Belfast rivals Crusaders escaped an early scare at Donegal Celtic before they went through, winning 2-1.

DC shook the Crues when they took the lead after 20 minutes through Noel Halfpenny.

The Seaview side were level after 34 minutes when Diarmuid O'Carroll netted from the penalty spot and Barry Molloy struck the winner midway through the second half with a long-distance rocket.

Ballymena United were the highest scorers of the night when they hit five in their local derby at home to Glebe Rangers.

Paddy McNally headed them in front from Neal Gawley's cross on 20 minutes. Gawley scored the second himself seven minutes later, also heading home, this time from David Cushley's cross. The Sky Blues were well in control when Darren Henderson made it 3-0 five minutes later.

Gary Thompson and Cushley then scored within two minutes of each other just after the hour mark to complete the rout.

Guillaume Keke scored twice as Larne beat Sport & Leisure 3-0 at Inver Park.

The striker, on loan from Cliftonville, scored his first after 35 minutes and then netted again, the time from the penalty spot, 10 minutes from time. James McCabe wrapped things up in the final minute.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph