Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football European

Inter Milan left stunned by five-star Schalke

Inter Milan 2 Schalke 5: A match which began with Inter Milan scoring one of the great Champions League goals ended with their Champions League ambitions all but dead as Schalke twice came from behind in the San Siro to claim a commanding advantage in their quarter-final.

It all looked so promising for Inter as they immediately took the lead in stunning fashion.

Manuel Neuer advanced out of his area under pressure from Diego Milito and headed clear.

He got good distance but the ball went straight to Dejan Stankovic in the centre circle, who powered a volley, first time over the defence, over Neuer and over the line.

But Schalke were level in the 17th minute.

Kyriakos Papadopoulos was left completely unmarked at the far post from Jefferson Farfan's corner and, though his header was straight at Cesar, the ball broke to Joel Matip, who hammered home.

Stankovic's eventful evening came to a premature end when he succumbed to injury after 24 minutes but Inter went back in front nine minutes later.

A neat move involving Milito and Javier Zanetti saw Wesley Sneijder cross to Esteban Cambiasso at the far post.

Cambiasso headed back across goal to Milito, who had a simple task to finish from close range.

They could not hang onto their lead until half-time, though, as Edu drew Schalke level, following up to finish from a narrow angle after Cesar had done well to save his initial deflected shot.

Schalke took the lead in the 53rd minute as Raul claimed his 70th Champions League goal, finishing low past Cesar after good work by Farfan.

And it got worse for Inter four minutes later when Andrea Ranocchia slid in under no pressure and diverted Manuel Jurado's low cross into his own net.

Cristian Chivu was shown a second yellow for a challenge on Edu in the 62nd minute which the Brazilian made the most of.

Farfan's 75th-minute shot was saved by Cesar and his follow-up effort turned against the post by Ranocchia, but moments later the ball broke to Edu who curled the ball past the goalkeeper.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph