Belfast Telegraph

Johnson shrugs off incidents in tunnel as City bow out of Cup

Bristol City 0 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1

Winning goal: Ivan Cavaleiro was on target for Wolves
Winning goal: Ivan Cavaleiro was on target for Wolves

By Andrew Baldock

Bristol City boss Lee Johnson described a half-time tunnel incident as "a bit of handbags" following his team's 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Wolves.

There appeared to be friction and words exchanged between the respective coaching teams as the sides went off at Ashton Gate.

And City's assistant head coach Jamie McAllister was understood to have been cautioned by referee Martin Atkinson.

"To be fair, they are a fiery bench and we are a fiery bench as well," Johnson said.

"There was a bit of handbags. To be honest, I don't actually know what started it. It's nothing."

Wolves manager Nuno Espirito Santo, meanwhile, said: "Yes, I was aware of it. The referee told us he had a warning."

Midfielder Ivan Cavaleiro's first-half finish brought City's 15-match undefeated run and nine-match winning streak to a halt. The Championship club had their moments, and were far better in the second half, but Wolves deservedly progressed.

Nuno added: "I thought we played really well in the first half, building, creating chances, scoring. The second half, we had to hold on to what we had.

"It is very difficult to defend against such a very good team, and we had to be brave.

"I am very happy because we have achieved something very positive for us. It is a tough stadium to come to and take away something."

• In yesterday's other FA Cup fifth round game, Dan James inspired an amazing second half comeback as Swansea reached the quarter-finals with a 4-1 victory over 10-man Brentford.

The Bees controlled the first half to deservedly lead thanks to Ollie Watkins' 28th-minute strike but Swansea equalised through goalkeeper Luke Daniels' own goal before James, Bersant Celina and George Byers found their way onto the scoresheet.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph