Belfast Telegraph

Manchester United 0-0 Middlesbrough: (AET, 1-3 on pens): Louis van Gaal's side dumped out of Capital One Cup

Capital One Cup fourth round

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney missed a penalty as the shock of the Capital One Cup fourth round eventually arrived at Old Trafford with Middlesbrough beating the Red Devils in a shoot-out.

Championship promotion-chasers Boro had a goal disallowed when Kike hit the post and Daley Blind put the rebound in the own net, with an offside flag curtailing their celebrations.

Stewart Downing also forced a stunning save from Sergio Romero while Jesse Lingard hit a post for United but the 90 minutes finished goalless.

Neither side could break the deadlock in extra time with Anthony Martial and Marouane Fellaini missing close-range headers at the death for United.

Rooney saw United's first penalty saved by Tomas Mejias, Michael Carrick blazed over and Mejias then blocked Ashley Young's effort as Boro triumphed 3-1 on spot-kicks.

Jurgen Klopp broke his win duck at the fourth attempt as Liverpool beat Bournemouth 1-0.

Nathaniel Clyne grabbed the goal as Klopp, who has overseen three draws since taking over as Anfield boss, finally celebrated a victory.

Right-back Clyne scored in the 17th minute when a cute backheel by youngster Joao Carlos Teixeira was not properly cleared.

The ball fell kindly to the England international, who had continued his run to the far post to fire home his first Reds goal.

Kevin De Bruyne's sixth goal in nine appearances helped Manchester City sweep past Crystal Palace 5-1.

Wilfried Bony opened the scoring in the 22nd minute when he headed in Aleksandar Kolarov's cross.

De Bruyne doubled the lead on the stroke of half-time when he tucked in an inviting cross from Kelechi Iheanacho.

And De Bruyne returned the favour on the hour mark when he teed up Iheanacho for his second City goal - both of which have come against Palace.

Yaya Toure made it four 15 minutes from time with a penalty for his first home goal since New Year's Day, Damien Delaney pulled one back but youngster Manu Garcia promptly tucked away the fifth.

Maya Yoshida and Graziano Pelle were on target as Southampton sank managerless Aston Villa 2-1 at St Mary's.

In the 51st minute Japan striker Yoshida linked up with Gaston Ramirez, making a rare appearance in the Saints' starting XI, before firing home off the inside of Brad Guzan's post.

And as Villa chased an equaliser they were caught out on the break as Pelle crashed in a superb volley for his eighth goal of the season.

Scott Sinclair pulled one back from the spot for Villa deep into stoppage time but there was barely time to kick-off.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph