Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football

Honours even as Derry City fail to make up ground on third-placed Bohemians

Declan Devine
Declan Devine

It was honours even at Dalymount Park as Bohemians and Derry City cancelled each other out in a 0-0 stalemate.

The result keeps third-placed Bohs six points ahead of City, although the Dublin side have played a game more.

Derry came into the game confident after their impressive win over Cork City at the weekend and they almost snatched an early lead when Ciaran Harkin tried hiss luck from 30 yards and with the sun in his eyes, James Talbot almost lost sight of the ball, but fortunately for the Bohs goalkeeper the ball landed on the roof of the net.

The visitors were looking the more dangerous in the opening half and Junior Ogedi, on the back of his hat trick at Turner’s Cross, came agonisingly close when he cut inside and shot, but the ball flew past the wrong side of the post with Talbot flat-footed.

Derry then had claims for a penalty when Darragh Leahy collided with Jamie McDonagh right on the corner of the Bohs penalty area. The referee missed the incident but was alerted by his assistant’s flag, only for the decision to be a free kick instead of the penalty expected by the visitors much to their dismay.

The half ended with another decent chance for Derry as Greg Sloggett picked out the run of Gerardo Bruna and the midfielder sent a powerful shot at goal from 18 yards but Talbot was behind it the whole way, gathering it at the second attempt.

The second half was a very poor affair until well past the hour mark when Barry McNamee dispossessed Darragh Leahy in the Bohs penalty area and only had to play Ciaran Harkin in on goal but his pass was poor, allowing Talbot to come off his line to claim.

Derry then should have taken the three points as they created a succession of chances on 70 minutes. Greg Sloggett’s through ball put David Parkhouse through on goal but his left footed shot was blocked by Talbot before falling to Junior. Junior attempted to cut the ball beyond the stranded goalkeeper but Talbot still got a hand to it, yet it deflected into the path of McNamee who somehow couldn’t turn it in from two yards, blazing the ball over the bar under pressure.

Keith Ward, Bohs’ best player throughout could have won it late on for the hosts when his 30 yard free kick brought a fine save from Peter Cherrie, but there was still one final chance for Declan Devine’s team.

Deep in stoppage time, Jamie McDonagh went on a surging run in behind the Bohs defence but his pull back missed both Sloggett and Junior and Bohs survived.

Bohemians: James Talbot, Darragh Leahy, Scott Allardice (Robbie McCourt 58’), Keith Ward, Conor Levingston, Ryan Graydon (Sam Byrne 85’), James Finnerty, Andy Lyons, Michael Barker (Paddy Kirk 40’), Ryan Swan, Luke Wade-Slater.

Derry City: Peter Cherrie, Eoin Toal, Ally Gilchrist, Ciaran Coll, Gerardo Bruna, Greg Sloggett, Ciaran Harkin, Barry McNamee (Aidy Depap 71’), Jamie McDonagh, Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe, David Parkhouse (Darren Cole 79’).

Referee: Sean Grant.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph