Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football

Hull's Ice-cool Jakupovic takes centre stage as Newcastle pay the penalty

Hull City 0 Newcastle 0 (1-1 aet, Hull won 3-1 on penalties)

By Mark Walker

Eldin Jakupovic was 10-man Hull's hero as they beat Newcastle 3-1 on penalties in the EFL Cup after the quarter-final tie had finished 1-1 at the end of extra-time.

Tigers goalkeeper Jakupovic kept out Jonjo Shelvey's spot-kick and also saved from Yoan Gouffran, while Dwight Gayle's (below) effort hit the crossbar.

Hull trio Robert Snodgrass, Michael Dawson and Tom Huddlestone all converted their penalties to secure Mike Phelan's side an unlikely passage into the last four for the first time in the club's history.

Newcastle looked to have earned themselves a deserved win in extra-time when Mo Diame scored against his former club, but Snodgrass levelled within a minute for the Tigers, who had Dieumerci Mbokani sent off in the 89th minute.

Newcastle carried the greater threat in the first half and had a penalty appeal turned down when Gayle tumbled under Ahmed Elmohamady's challenge. Gayle forced Hull goalkeeper Jakupovic to turn away a sweetly-struck half-volley after being set free by Shelvey's brilliant pass and Diame pulled a low shot wide.

Snodgrass crashed Hull's first effort wide in the 23rd minute, but Newcastle twice went close to breaking the deadlock when Diame headed Vurnon Anita's cross inches over and Matt Ritchie's superb first-time effort curled wide.

But even deep into the second half, Rafa Benitez's side had nothing to show for their efforts.

Tigers boss Phelan sent on Markus Henriksen, teenager Josh Tymon and James Weir with 11 minutes to go.

But the pattern never changed. Newcastle probed and Hull hung in doggedly, aided by their visitors' failure with the final delivery.

Hull were reduced to 10 men as the tie headed towards extra-time. Mbokani reacted furiously to Jamaal Lascelles' tackle from behind and referee Neil Swarbrick showed a straight red.

Newcastle sniffed blood. Defender Ciaran Clark's shot was well blocked by Jakupovic, who then kept out Shelvey's thunderbolt.

But the Hull keeper could do little to keep out Diame's opener. Gayle flicked on Vurnon Anita's cross and the summer signing turned the ball home.

Hull then delivered a stunning riposte. The Tigers swept forward soon after the restart and when Henriksen's thumping drive from the edge of the area was parried, Snodgrass pounced to steer home the rebound.

Both sides spurned chances to win it in extra-time.

Gayle's header was kept out by man-of-the-match Jakupovic, Lascelles' shot was blocked by Hull skipper Dawson and at the other end Snodgrass failed to get a shot away.

HULL: Jakupovic, Elmohamady (Weir 79), Maguire, Dawson, Robertson (Tymon 79), Huddlestone, Livermore (Henriksen 79), Meyler, Snodgrass, Mbokani, Diomande.

Subs not used: Davies, Marshall, Bowen, Olley

NEWCASTLE: Sels, Anita (Yedlin 109), Lascelles, Clark, Lazaar, Ritchie (Atsu 81), Shelvey, Hayden (Murphy 105), Gouffran, Diamé, Gayle

Subs not used: Dummett, Mbemba, Tioté, Darlow

Referee: Neil Swarbrick

Man of the match: Eldin Jakupovic

Match rating: 7/10

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph