Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football

Institute's traumatic season has a silver lining as Coleraine sunk in cup final

Coleraine 1 Institute 3

By Jonathan McNabb

Institute lifted the North West Cup for the second successive year as they defeated an under-strength Coleraine side at The Showgrounds.

It is a welcome boost for the Drumahoe men, whose Riverside Stadium ground was devastated by floods earlier in the year.

It was the Bannsiders who took the lead on three minutes after an error from Institute goalkeeper Gareth Muldoon presented Alex Gawne with the easy task of stroking the ball into an empty net.

However, the Bluefin Sport Championship side nearly levelled a minute later as Kyle Friel Curran rattled the crossbar.

On nine minutes, the home side should have doubled their advantage as Gawne had a shot saved, before Matthew Kirk struck the post.

The visitors grabbed an equaliser on 14 minutes as Aaron Harkin's corner kick found an unmarked Mark Scoltock inside the area. The defender hit a sweet first-time volley into the bottom corner that left Michael Doherty with no chance.

On the half-hour mark, Paddy McLaughlin's side took the lead from another corner as Harkin's delivery was met by former Cliftonville defender Caoimhin Bonner, who headed home.

Coleraine should have equalised on 42 minutes when a superb pass from David Kee picked out Caolan Brennan. The winger had the vision to find Gawne and his dummy released Jason Goldie inside the area, but the teenage striker failed to convert.

The visitors started the second half on the front foot and stretched their lead after a poor defensive mistake by Stephen Douglas was punished as Friel Curran finished from close range on 53 minutes.

The game should have been wrapped up on 62 minutes when Bonner was once again unmarked and his header looked destined for the net, but veteran stopper Doherty was there to claw out the effort.

The Bannsiders searched for a way back into the match and should have scored on 68 minutes as Kirk found Brennan inside the area, but the youngster lacked composure and fired his shot over the crossbar.

Stute nearly added further gloss to the scoreline on 75 minutes when Ronan Wilson's powerful drive was saved by Doherty, before the same player saw his rebound crash off the post as the Championship side ran out worthy winners on the Ballycastle Road.

Coleraine: Doherty, Douglas (McKendry, 73 mins), Ferris (Lundy, 71 mins), Smith, Gawne, Goldie, Brennan (Campbell, 71 mins), Kee, McConaghie, Kirk, Whiteside. Subs Not Used: Dunn, Rowe.

Institute: Muldoon, R Morrow, Seydak (Jarvis, 66 mins), Bonner, Scoltock, Grace, McCallion (J Morrow, 79 mins), Harkin, Curran (S Curry, 74 mins), McCrudden, Wilson. Subs Not Used: Doherty, D Curry.

Referee: Diarmuid Harrigan (Londonderry)

Man of the Match: Mark Scoltock

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph