Belfast Telegraph

Lampard set for England recall, but Wilshere gets bad news

By Sam Wallace

Fabio Capello is considering a recall for Frank Lampard for tomorrow's Euro 2012 qualifier against Wales, just four days after the England manager left the midfielder out of the team against Bulgaria — the first time Lampard had been dropped for a competitive match in four years.

Capello is concerned that a booking for either Gareth Barry or Scott Parker at Wembley will mean they are suspended for the final Group G qualification match against Montenegro in Podgorica next month — from which England will need a point to be sure of qualification if they beat Wales.

Either way, the Capello camp believe that the interpretation by many that Friday's decision to omit Lampard means his England career is over was premature.

The 33-year-old Chelsea midfielder is in contention to start as one of the two holding midfielders and will be judged according to his form with his club, Capello believes.

The England manager will be without Jack Wilshere (pictured) for the game against Montenegro on 7 October after the 19-year-old confirmed yesterday that his right ankle injury means that he will be out for up to three months.

Wilshere tweeted: “I can confirm I will be out for around 2-3 months! I am working hard in the gym to stay fit and I am gutted but I will be back stronger!”

Later, in a radio interview with former Arsenal striker Ian Wright, he said that he would not rush back.

Wilshere said: “They (Arsenal) are not pushing me at all to be fair. I spoke to the manager and he just said for me to take my time and come back when I'm ready because there is no point in me coming back and then having another six weeks out.

“It's frustrating not to be playing *(against Bulgaria) but we did really well and (Wayne) Rooney was unbelievable. There's not a player in this country anywhere near his level and I think England have to use that like the Spanish players do. Use him as our main player and push off on him.”

With his team closing in on Euro 2012 qualification, Capello has said that Liverpool striker Andy Carroll needs to improve his personal fitness if he is to play a part in the national team's future, including next summer in Poland and Ukraine — providing they qualify. Carroll was not even on the bench for the 3-0 win over Bulgaria. With Darren Bent going home with a groin problem, it will be interesting to see whether Capello selects the £35m striker among his substitutes tomorrow.

Capello said: “Carroll needs to find good form. All the players do.

“I chose 25 players and decided that the first XI would be the players who were, for me, in the best moment of form.”

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph