| 8.9°C Belfast

Inver Park faithful are daring to dream after victory over Ports puts Lynch's Larne eight points clear at top



Wry smile: Tiernan Lynch’s side are on unbeaten 14-game run

Wry smile: Tiernan Lynch’s side are on unbeaten 14-game run

Wry smile: Tiernan Lynch’s side are on unbeaten 14-game run

Tiernan Lynch smiled wryly and claimed 'I didn't hear it' as Larne fans greeted their team's 3-0 victory at Portadown with chants of 'championies'.

With more than half of the season still to go their celebrations may be prematuere, but after stretching their unbeaten start to 14 games and moving eight points clear at the top of the Bluefin Sport Championship the Inver Park fans' confidence is well placed, especially after second-placed Dundela dropped points in a 3-3 draw with PSNI

Larne inflicted a third defeat in four games on the Ports, who in turn fell eight points behind Dundela. Unfortunate Adam McCallum turned in Ben Tilney's low cross into the net on 14 minutes and 12 minutes later Paddy McNally powered a header into the bottom corner of the net from Martin Donnelly's right-wing corner. Donnelly tucked home the third himself on 65 minutes.

"They are all big results for us. Any time you get three points it gets you a step closer to where you would like to be," said Lynch.

"Portadown were contenders, they are third in the league and we've been watching over our shoulder and we are delighted that we have been able to get three points."

After going 1-0 up through William Bingham, Dundela found themselves 3-1 down before half-time as Tony Tumelty Dale Malone and Mark Anderson all netted for PSNI.

Carl McComb gave the Duns a lifeline and after missing a penalty they rescued a point when Ben Murdock equalised late on.

Loughgall stretched their unbeaten run to seven games with an impressive 4-0 win over Knockbreda. They raced into a 3-0 half-time lead thanks to a double strike from Nathaniel Ferris and a third goal in as many games from Marc McConnell. Jordan Bell completed the comprehensive victory after the break. Loughall are locked on 19 points with H&W Welders and Carrick Rangers as the fight for a top-six place hots up, with two points separatiing five teams from fourth to eighth.

Second-half goals from Lukasz Gwiazda and Ross Arthurs either side of Dylan Aiken's equaliser gave the Welders a 2-1 home win over Dergrview.

Carrick suffered a setback after a run of four wins out of six as they went down 3-0 at home to Ballinamallard United.

After a scoreless first half Darragh McBrien scored twice, either side of a goal from Ryan Campbell - all within six minutes - to move the Mallards off the bottom of the table, with Carrick's only reply coming from a late Paul McDowell penalty.

Ten-man Ballyclare Comrades fought back twice to take a point away at Limavady United.

After goalkeeper Paddy Flood's early red card Limavady went 2-0 up thanks to a Robbie Hume double. Sammy McIlveen and Joe Tully brought Ballyclare level at the break and after Stephen Duffy put the Roesiders back in front Adam Gray netted a late equalser.

BLUEFIN SPORT CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS: Carrick Rangers1 Ballinamallard United 3, Dundela 3 PSNI 3, H&W Welders 2 Dergview 1, Limavady United 3 Ballyclare Comrades 3, Loughgall 4 Knockbreda 0, Portadown 0 Larne 3.

• Declan Devine is expected to be appointed as Derry City manager in a two-year deal for a second time tonight.

The Londonderry native has been working as a youth coach in the elite performance Club NI scheme.

Belfast Telegraph