Belfast Telegraph

Albert Foundry seal final slot with last-gasp strike

PSNI 3-4 Albert Foundry

By Keith Bailie

Albert Foundry reached their first Steel & Sons Cup final since 1949 with a stunning late winner over PSNI at Seaview.

The Amateur League club raced into a 3-0 lead before three goals in 19 incredible second half minutes saw the Championship Two club draw level. However, all that counted for nothing when Darren McCombe grabbed an 87th-minute winner to send the Paisley Park outfit into the Christmas morning final.

Albert Foundry took an early lead in the fourth minute when the PSNI failed to clear a cross into the area that Paul Young allowed to bounce before flicking it over goalkeeper David Harrison and into the back of the net.

The Foundry grabbed a second goal just before the half-time whistle. An inswinging corner from Young was nodded home from less than a yard by defender John Burns.

Albert Foundry hit their third goal of the match through Young just five minutes into the new half. The comeback started in the 54th minute, when a sweeping PSNI cross was headed home at the back post by Andrew Blackledge.

It was 3-2 on the hour mark. PSNI midfielder Mark Anderson hit an incredible 30-yard effort the arrowed straight into the top-right corner of Stephen Cairnduff's net.

Referee Shane Andrews awarded PSNI a penalty in the 73rd after Graeme Beck conceded a foul. Ryan Berry levelled the scores with a cooly dispatched spot-kick.

All the PSNI's good work was undone in the 87th minute when defender Ashton McDermott missed a header, allowing McCombe to nip in and score.

Albert Foundry will return to Seaview on Christmas morning to face the winners of Monday night's clash between Crusaders Reserves and H&W Welders.

Albert Foundry: Cairnduff; Corry, Burns, Moore, McAlinden (43 Beck); D. McCombe, Harris. Maxwell, West; Young, Mitchell (70 McCord). Subs Not Used: Sloan, Beattie, W. McCombe

PSNI: Harrison, Blair, McDermott, McCrory, Blackledge; Anderson, Hutchinson, Berry, McWilliams, Moody, Adamczyk.Subs Not Used: Adams, Manly, McLaughlin, McCullough, Simms.

Referee: Shane Andrews (Comber).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph