Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Irish League Ards

Glens and Mallards have to dig deep to avoid an upset


By Adam McKendry

For anyone who loves the magic of the cup, it was in short supply last night. All twelve Danske Bank Premiership clubs navigated their respective ties, some more easily than others, to reach the third round, while there wasn't even a shock in any of the matches involving lesser sides either.

The closest any match came to an upset was at Ferney Park where Ballinamallard United had to survive a scare, needing penalties to put away Intermediate club Tobermore United.

After a 0-0 draw in regulation time, the Mallards scraped through 8-7 in a nail-biting shootout.

Another close call came at Lakeview Park, where Dean Smith's Loughgall were cruelly defeated 1-0 in extra-time by Glentoran.

Smith was a coach at Annagh United when they knocked out the Glens at this stage last season, and he would have been dreaming of the same result, only for John McGuigan to settle it with a well taken strike in the first half of extra-time.

Elsewhere, there were wins for several other Premiership clubs against Championship opposition, with Coleraine maintaining their unbeaten start to the season with a 4-1 win over Larne.

Joe McCready, on his first start for Coleraine, netted twice in the win, with Ian Parkhill and Darren McCauley also scoring, while Daniel Reynolds grabbed a late consolation goal for the visitors.

Martin Maybin was also at the double as Carrick Rangers defeated Dergview 3-0 at the Belfast Loughshore Arena, with Andrew Mooney continuing his fine early season form by grabbing the other.

Meanwhile, Dungannon Swifts finally shook off the shackles and put four past Newry City in a 4-0 victory, while Warrenpoint Town also hit the back of the net four times in their 4-1 win at home to Lurgan Celtic.

Glenavon matched Ards as the biggest scorers of the night as they hammered five goals past Intermediate opponents Donegal Celtic.

Mark Sykes notched a hat-trick for the Lurgan Blues as they comfortably reached the third round with a 5-1 win.

In the pick of the night's other games, another thrilling 8-7 penalty shootout saw Institute triumph over Moyola Park after the two sides battled to a 1-1 draw.

Portadown saw off Harland & Wolff Welders 3-2 at Shamrock Park in a close match, while PSNI were 1-0 winners over Limavady United.

Ballyclare Comrades are also in the next round, recording a 2-0 win over Newington at home.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph