| 12.4°C Belfast

Armagh have huge incentive to 'give it a go'


Brendan Shannon is congratulated after marking his return from injury with his side's opening goal

Brendan Shannon is congratulated after marking his return from injury with his side's opening goal


Brendan Shannon is congratulated after marking his return from injury with his side's opening goal

Armagh City manager Marty Rice has promised to 'give it a good go' in their Irish Cup fifth round replay against Ards after coming within seconds of knocking the Premiership strugglers out of the competition.

And the Belfast Telegraph Championship 2 side have been given the ultimate incentive after the draw for the last 16 handed them a potential home tie against holders Glentoran.

Craig McMillen saved Ards when he struck a 96th minute equaliser after Matthew Hynds and Stephen Murray had put the Eagles in front following Andrew Mitchell's first-half opener.

"It's exciting, another big opportunity, I suppose, if we can get over this hurdle," said Rice on the prospect of hosting the Glens.

"It's disappointing that we didn't hold out because it was literally the last kick of the game when they scored. We didn't even get time to take the centre again.

"I can't see why we can't win the replay. We take a lot of confidence out of the performance and we'll give it a good go again."

And if Strabane Athletic of the Northern Ireland Intermediate League can get past Ballinamallard United, when they also replay next Tuesday, they will face another top flight side in Glenavon.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

"We've got a massive game against Ballinamallard again, but we will take a lot of confidence. No disrespect to Ballinamallard, I thought we were the better team," said manager Martin Doherty following the scoreless draw at Ferney Park.

Glenavon clocked up the biggest win of the day, 7-0 over Sport & Leisure Swifts.

Brendan Shannon opened the scoring before a Rhys Marshall header and Jim O'Neill own goal put Glenavon in a commanding position which they built on when David Rainey plundered number four ahead of substitutes Sammy McIlveen, Robbie McDaid and Kyle Neill all striking in the second period.

Crusaders had new recruit Andy Smith to thank as his 73rd minute goal secured a 2-1 win over Crumlin Star, who had cancelled out Matthew Snoddy's penalty through a thumping Steven Brown header.

Ballymena United were also grateful to a new signing for keeping their cup hopes alive when Darren Boyce emerged from the bench to help grab a replay with H&W Welders.

The Tillysburn side led twice through Philip Simpson and Matty Burrows either side of a Tony Kane leveller before Boyce's 86th minute intervention.

Gary Liggett hit a brace as Dungannon Swifts swept Moyola Park aside 5-1, and in the big all-Championship 1 tie, Ben Roy come back to haunt his former club with a late winner as Carrick Rangers beat Dundela 3-2.

Ballymoney United and Queen's University registered 1-0 victories at home to Banbridge Town and Limavady United respectively, while Ballyclare Comrades overcame Kilmore Rec 3-0.

Lisburn Distillery and PSNI failed to produce a goal between them but there were no such issues at Clandeboye Park as Bangor thumped Glebe Rangers 7-1.

Top Videos