Belfast Telegraph

Ballymena move into top half after narrow win over Carrick Rangers

Carrick Rangers 0 Ballymena Utd 1

Jude Winchester scored for Ballymena United
Jude Winchester scored for Ballymena United

By Ian Callender

Ballymena moved into the top half of the Premiership table after a Jude Winchester goal was enough to see off the determined challenge of Carrick Rangers.

It was rarely pretty but in the end, last year’s runners up got the job done despite having to play the last half hour with 10 men after Johnny Addis was sent off for what Ballymena fans considered a hard but fair challenge.

Ballymena’s last visit to east Antrim resulted in a 4-2 win over big spenders Larne but they were not nearly as convincing in the first half at the Loughshore Arena as they took a while to find their stride, following last week’s home setback against Glentoran.

Slack in possession and giving the ball away in dangerous areas allowed Carrick an early grip on the contest but a tame Stewart Nixon shot and a barging run from Michael Smith, which ended with a shot across the face of the goal was the nearest the home side came to taking advantage.

It was Rangers goalkeeper Aaron Hogg who kept the scores level with a superb save in the 28th minute. When Steven McCullough’s cross came out to Cathair Friel’s the striker’s powerful shot from 12 yards out was brilliantly parried away by Hogg.

United, though, continued to be wasteful, with Andy McGrory’s 25-yard free kick going high over the bar and on the stroke of half time, Leroy Millar’s header from Friel’s cross was also off target.

The closest Carrick came to breaking the deadlock in the first half was when the onrushing James Ferrin met a Reece Neale corner but his downward header flashed just the wrong side of the upright.

Sign In

Rangers started the second half on the front foot as well and a cross-shot from Nixon was fisted away by Ross Glendinning but Lee Chapman, unmarked at the back post, failed to get a clean connection and another chance had gone a-begging.

They were to prove costly in the 59th minute when Ballymena hit the front. McCullough’s cross from the left ping-ponged around in the area, a couple of yellow shirts had a stab goalwards, a couple of orange shirts cleared it but it proved third time lucky as Winchester found the corner of the net.

Three minutes later, however, the visitors were down to 10 men when Addis received a straight red for a ugly-looking challenge on Chapman, although the Carrick midfielder was able to continue after treatment.

As a result, Carrick enjoyed the lion’s share of the possession in the closing stages but apart from a clever lob by Neale, which Nixon headed straight into the arms of Glendinning, the 10-men held on with some comfort.

Carrick Rgs: Hogg; Ferrin, Surgenor, Rodgers, Neale; Chapman, Anderson, Faulkner, Kelly (Loughran 87 mins); Nixon, Smith (Smiley 70 mins). Unused subs: Nicholl, Carson, Magill, McDermott.

Ballymena: Glendinning; Balmer, Ervin, Addis, McCullough; McGrory, Millar, Winchester (Lavery 80 mins), Harpur; Friel, Carville (Andrew Burns, 66 mins). Unused subs: Williamson, Magee, McGinty, Aaron Burns, Kelly.

Referee: Steven Gregg

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph