Belfast Telegraph

Sports Awards

Bray dish out harsh lesson to Candystripes

Derry City 0 Bray Wanderers 5

By Eoin Wilson

Derry City were humiliated 5-0 at Maginn Park last night as they fell to their biggest defeat of the season against Bray Wanderers.

The Candystripes, who have now lost four on the bounce, were thoroughly outplayed as their season crashes to a dismal end, with even Europa League qualification mow in severe doubt.

Gary McCabe and Aaron Greene were unplayable for the visitors, who have now closed the gap on Kenny Shiels' side and fourth place to just one point with five league games remaining.

Whilst Nicky Low was the man pulling the strings for Derry, it was Gary McCabe doing likewise for Bray, and he showed the extent of his danger as he visitors took the lead on 20 minutes.

The midfielder was allowed just enough time in midfield and it was just a matter of playing the forward pass for the run of Aaron Greene, who raced in behind the City defence and chipped the ball cheekily over Gerard Doherty.

It took Derry over a half hour to finally test Peter Cherrie in the Bray goal, and it was an incredible save from the Bray Wanderers goalkeeper, who somehow palmed away Aaron Barry's close range effort.

That proved to be a huge moment in the game as Bray soared ahead of Derry with two goals in two minutes shortly afterwards.

The second goal came when Greene and McCabe combined brilliantly to cut through Derry and with Doherty off his line to close the angle, the ball was passed to the supporting Darragh None, who simply slid the ball into the bottom corner to make it 2-0.

Derry were still coming to terms with that goal when Bray made it 3-0, Ryan Brennan latching onto a long ball and with the City defenders standing stock still, he lashed the ball past Doherty and into the roof of the net.

Derry needed a quick response and they got the chance to do so within two minutes of the restart, Patterson going through on goal with just Cherrie to beat, but the Bray goalkeeper was again superb, brilliantly touching the striker's shot around the post for a corner.

Again, those were pivotal moments, as the ball was in the back of the Derry net moments later. Ryan Brennan couldn't get the job done as his shot came back off the post, but an attempted clearance only went to the feet of McCabe, who drilled the ball low into the vacant goal.

Derry's night was summed up when they were awarded a penalty on 88 minutes when Hugh Douglas pulled Lukas Schubert back, and Aaron McEneff sent his spot kick over the upright.

Derry City: Doherty, McDermott, McEneff, Low, McNamee, Curtis (Dolny 57), Patterson, McIntyre, Doherty (Schubert 70), Toal, Barry.

Bray Wanderers: Cherrie, Sullivan, Kenna (Douglas 67), Buckley, Brennan, Greene (Pender 82), Moore, McCabe, Clancy, Noone, Marks (Lynch 77).

Referee: N Doyle.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph