| 10.1°C Belfast

Candystripes bounce back in style


On target: Barry McNamee

On target: Barry McNamee

©INPHO/Presseye/Lorcan Doherty

On target: Barry McNamee

Derry City put the recent defeat to Dundalk firmly behind them by demolishing struggling Longford Town at the Brandywell last night.

Goals from Aaron McEneff, Lukas Schubert, Barry McNamee and Rory Patterson went some way towards erasing the hurt of the 5-0 defeat suffered at the hands of the champions just two weeks ago.

A dull first-half burst into life when Kevin O'Connor's handball in the area gifted the hosts a penalty and McEneff drilled Derry into the lead.

As if Longford's task wasn't difficult enough, they were then caught short as O'Connor hacked down McEneff, again giving the referee no option but to send him off.

Derry were 2-0 up midway through the second period when substitute Schubert picked the ball out of the air sublimely and rolled it past Ryan Coulter.

Schubert made a telling difference to the game and the Austrian won his side a second spot-kick on 71 minutes when Pat Flynn threw himself into a risky challenge and the referee again pointed to the spot.

However, Patterson - without a goal in four games - blazed over the crossbar for his third penalty miss of the season.

To his credit, he made amends just two minutes later as, with his back to goal, he controlled the ball before turning and dinking it over the head of Coulter who could only send it into the path of McNamee, who swept it in.

The Candystripes continued to pour forward and they got goal number four when substitute Josh Daniels crossed in and Patterson slammed the ball past Coulter from close range.

Derry City: Doherty, Vemmelund, Jarvis, McEneff, McCormack, McNamee (Allen 85), Patterson, Boyle (Schubert 61'), McDermott, Curtis (Daniels 81), Aaron Barry

Longford: Coulter, Powell, Haverty, Hughes, Dillon (Gannon 68), O'Connor, Duffy (McGlynn 45), YNkelu, Simon, Flynn, Dsane (O'Sullivan 77)

Referee: Robert Harvey

Belfast Telegraph