Belfast Telegraph

Stricken Red Tomas Cosgrove thanks Linfield rival Mulgrew for aid

By Conor McLaughlin

Cliftonville'sTomas Cosgrove has praised the quick thinking of Jamie Mulgrew after the Linfield skipper came to his aid during Saturday's Danske Bank Premiership clash at Solitude.

The Reds roared back from 2-0 down with three goals in the final 11 minutes, but by that stage Cosgrove was being assessed in hospital after leaving the contest on a stretcher during the first half.

An aerial collision with Blues double goalscorer Aaron Burns left Cosgrove concussed, with Mulgrew among the first to recognise the severity of the 28th minute incident.

The Linfield skipper dashed to tend to the stricken 24-year-old while both clubs' medical teams raced from their respective dugouts and Cosgrove - who returned home on Saturday night nursing eight stitches in a facial wound -yesterday took to social media to thank everyone for their assistance.

Tomas Cosgrove's tweet

"Up feeling better today," he tweeted.

"Would just like to thank all the medical staff from yesterday who looked after me and for Jamie Mulgrew's quick reaction".

The defender's departure came 12 minutes after Linfield had taken the lead through Burns, who would go on to double the visitors' advantage from the penalty spot after being fouled by Cosgrove's replacement at full back, Jaimie McGovern.

Chris Curran handed the Reds hope when he pulled one back on 79 minutes and then dug out a cross for Jay Donnelly to power home an equalising header from close range.

Unbelievably, Cliftonville still weren't finished and got the reward their performance deserved deep into injury-time when, from another Curran delivery, Garry Breen gave Roy Carroll no chance to win it for the Reds.

CLIFTONVILLE: Neeson, Cosgrove (Harney, 35 mins), McGovern, Breen, Ives, Curran, Bagnall, Winchester (Garrett, 69 mins), Lavery (J Donnelly, 63 mins), Gormley, R Donnelly. Unused subs: Long, Hughes.

LINFIELD: Carroll, Casement, Haughey, Stafford, Quinn, Garrett, Mulgrew, Millar (Mitchell, 77 mins), Burns, Rooney (Strain, 46 mins), J Stewart (Lowry, 58 mins). Unused subs: Callacher, R Clarke.

Referee: Raymond Hetherington (Dungannon)

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph