Belfast Telegraph

Double delight for Lowry as Coleraine show class in Glenavon win

Glenavon 0 Coleraine 4

Get in: Coleraine midfielder Stephen Lowry finds the back of the Glenavon net last night
Get in: Coleraine midfielder Stephen Lowry finds the back of the Glenavon net last night

By Billy Weir

Coleraine cruised into third in the Danske Bank Premiership with a clinical swatting away of a powderpuff Glenavon side at Mourneview Park.

Bar a spell in the opening period, the visitors were always in control and Stephen Lowry's cool double salvo 60 seconds either side of the break put them in the driving seat.

Ben Doherty rolled home a penalty later in the second period before substitute Nedas Maciulaitist wrapped things up with a fourth.

The home side fielded two changes from last Saturday's reversal by Dungannon Swifts with Aaron Harmon and Conor McCloskey coming in for Patrick Burns and Caolan Marron.

Coleraine's new acquisition from Institute, Aaron Jarvis, came straight into the starting line-up and with Eoin Bradley starting a three-match ban he was replaced by James McLaughlin on the completion of his similar suspension.

The third change for the Bannsiders from last week's scoreless draw with Stute saw Ian Parkhill, who bagged a hat-trick in the midweek win over Annagh United, come in for Dean Shiels.

And Parkhill was involved in an early scare for the home team when his third-minute ball set McLaughlin through and when Jonny Tuffey and Harmon bundled into each other, the striker had the goal at his mercy but from 22 yards rolled the ball wide.

Sign In

It was a free-flowing start to the game and in the ninth minute Josh Daniels' neat pass created a glorious chance for Jack O'Mahony but as he closed in Chris Johns ran quickly from his line and the midfielder blasted over.

There was an even bigger escape for the visitors five minutes later when, from Sammy Clingan's corner, Daniels flashed a header that beat Johns but Lyndon Kane did well to clear it off the line.

It was Glenavon's turn to heave a sigh of relief twice in 60 seconds when Tuffey pulled off a fine fingertip save to push over a Doherty volley.

From the resulting corner, Glenavon did well to block a clever short routine but although Josh Carson's left-foot effort was saved from the rebound, he used his right foot and this time was denied by the post.

Oran Kearney's side continued to look the most likely to break the deadlock, Aaron Canning warming Tuffey's palms and then shortly afterwards McLaughlin charged in on goal but under pressure from Andrew Doyle fired wide.

On the stroke of half-time defences were finally breached when McLaughlin controlled and then split the defence with his pass for Lowry to run on and coolly slot in under Tuffey.

Just 40 seconds into the second period and it was a repeat performance, Coleraine pouncing on a rare Clingan error and Lowry had all the time in the world to calmly pick his spot again.

It should have been 3-0 10 minutes later when a long ball was allowed to skid through to Parkhill but he crashed his drive off the woodwork.

But they didn't escape for long. When Doyle lunged in on substitute Maciulaitis, referee Tim Marshall pointed to the spot and Doherty made no mistake from 12 yards.

And it was to be a dream debut for Lithuanian striker Maciulaitis as with two minutes to go he waltzed through to make it 4-0.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph