| 5.1°C Belfast

Crues and Larne draw no comfort on a drab night

Larne 0-0 Crusaders


Get away: David McDaid holds off Crusaders’ Rory Hale

Get away: David McDaid holds off Crusaders’ Rory Hale

Get away: David McDaid holds off Crusaders’ Rory Hale

Larne and Crusaders produced a damp squib of a goalless draw in front of the Sky cameras at Inver Park.

It was a hotly-anticipated game between two sides in the top six, but it failed to live up to the billing.

There was also a bit of history made for the home side, as it was their first game to be shown live on Sky Sports.

Unlike Larne's previous two televised games in 2019, with goals galore on the BBC each time, this turned out to be a tame affair.

They lost 5-3 to Coleraine in the quarter-finals of the Irish Cup in March, and were edged out 3-2 by Glentoran in the league last month.

This one just didn't take off between two sides who came into it with only one win in each of their last six games.

The quiet opening period of the game gave a glimpse of what was to come as both sides looked to work each other out, making for a cagey opening quarter.

If anything, it was the visitors who started in a more composed fashion and they were first to try to break the deadlock on 20 minutes.

Lee Lynch lost possession on the right flank, and Paul Heatley tried his luck from distance. However, it drifted comfortably wide of Conor Devlin's right-hand post.

Twelve minutes later, Heatley was again in the thick of the action. Crusaders forced a number of corners, and their latest found the dangerman on the edge of the box. However, Heatley's half-volley was a few yards wide of Devlin's right post.

Larne's first chance of note came on 32 minutes. The Crusaders defence was caught under the high ball, which allowed Davy McDaid an effort from 15 yards out. However, his low effort ended up drifting well wide.

The first effort on target arrived two minutes into the second half as Declan Caddell fired in an attempt from almost 25 yards out, but Devlin was down low to his left to make a smart save.

With 58 minutes gone, Crusaders almost took the lead in fortuitous circumstances as Jamie McGonigle's whipped cross from the right flank was sliced over his own crossbar by a relieved Harry Flowers, who allowed himself a wry smile.

In the end, the game petered out to its expected conclusion in the driving rain, with neither side able to conjure a moment of magic to win the game.

The closest to a decisive moment was Larne's stoppage-time penalty shout for a handball, but referee Keith Kennedy waved away the strong protests from the home side.

It's a point which does little for either side's ambitions, leaving Crusaders in third place, six points behind leaders Coleraine, after the Bannsiders' latest victory at the weekend.

As for Larne, it edges them four points clear of rivals Ballymena, with Tiernan Lynch's men still sitting in sixth place.

Larne: Devlin, Flowers, Kelly, Watson, Sule, McDaid, Tilney (Donnelly '54), Lynch (Randall '59), Cosgrove, Hughes, McMurray

Unused subs: Mitchell, Ramsey, McKendry, Andrade, Gilmour

Crusaders: Doherty, Burns, Coates, Lowry, McGonigle (J Owens '73), Hale, Caddell, Forsythe, Ruddy, Heatley (Cushley '73), Clarke

Unused subs: O'Neill, Beverland, O'Rourke, Thompson, McElroy

Referee: Keith Kennedy

Please log in or register with belfasttelegraph.co.uk for free access to this article.

Already have an account?

Belfast Telegraph