| 10°C Belfast

Derry City 1 - 2 Bohemians: Derry strike first but Bohemians turn on the power


Highs and lows: Derry City’s Seanan Clucas battles with Bohemians’ Roberto Lopes

Highs and lows: Derry City’s Seanan Clucas battles with Bohemians’ Roberto Lopes

Lorcan Doherty

Highs and lows: Derry City’s Seanan Clucas battles with Bohemians’ Roberto Lopes

Bohemians performed a smash and grab raid to take all three points from the Brandywell last night.

Former Candystripe Marc Griffin was the Bohs hero as his second-half goal won it for the visitors who had been on the back foot for long periods

Philip Lowry had given the home side the perfect start when he volleyed in on eight minutes but a stunner from Kealan Dillon brought Bohs level midway through the first half. Derry then lost talisman Patrick McEleney to injury before Griffin struck to inflict a fourth defeat of the season on City.

Derry were celebrating early as a simple throw-in caught the Bohs defence napping. The ball was thrown towards McEleney on the edge of the Bohs area, and the Derry man nodded it down into the path of Philip Lowry, who steadied himself before sending a low volley past a motionless Delaney and into the net.

It was the perfect start for Derry and with McEleney clearly in the mood, Bohs, on the back of conceding their first away goal of the season, looked in trouble in the early stages.

However, the Dubliners survived the Derry storm and on 25 minutes they stunned the Brandywell with an equaliser of the highest quality. The ball was played high to the edge of the Derry area where Roberto Lopes flicked it on for Kealan Dillon, who mashed a superb effort over Gerard Doherty and into the net to level the game at 1-1. It was an incredible strike.

Dillon should have made it 2-1 to the visitors just minutes later as Derry struggled to regain composure following the equaliser. Patrick Kavanagh swung in a cross from the right and although Doherty came out to claim the ball, Dillon arrived there first, but instead of glancing the ball into the open net, he headed it over and Derry survived.

The momentum was with Derry as the hour mark approached and Bohs survived narrowly when McEleney turned with his back to goal, only for McNamee to take the ball off his foot and fire a shot at goal himself, with the ball deflecting narrowly wide for yet another corner.

Amidst this Derry dominance, Bohemians could and should have taken the lead when a cross from the right found Marc Griffin all alone in the City area, but the former he shot over with just Gerard Doherty to beat.

Disaster struck Derry on 68 minutes as Patrick McEleney stretched for the ball but immediately cried out in agony and signalled to the bench. The forward was clearly in some distress from what looked to be a groin strain and had to be carried off, to be replaced by Anthony Elding.

Worse was to follow for Derry just ten minutes later as two ex-Derry players combined to give Bohs the lead. Patrick Kavanagh raced in from the right and with Derry players trailing in his wake, he was able to pick out Marc Griffin, who fired the ball past Doherty to stun the Brandywell into silence.

Derry still might have saved a point as Mark Timlin sent a brilliant free kick from 30 yards straight past Delaney but straight onto the frame of the goal in added time, with Cillian Morrison heading the rebound over.

Belfast Telegraph

Top Videos