Belfast Telegraph

Derry City delight home fans with Foyle Cup success

By Jim McCafferty

Derry City came out on top in the Under-19 final against a battling Trojans side at Newbuildings, winning 3-0, when the first of the O'Neills Foyle Cup finals were played yesterday.

A scoreless first half saw chances for both sides with the two goalkeepers in fine form.

Lady luck was not on the side of Trojans early in the second half when a cross from the right saw an unlucky Brian McCarron head into his own goal.

Derry went two up 10 minutes later when Evan Tweed slotted home to make it 2-0.

And in the dying minutes, City made it 3-0 when Jake Malone tapped in from close range following good work on the right by Sean McBride.

Meanwhile, Derry's Under-15s were unlucky to lose out on penalties at the Brandywell last night against a very good Scottish side in the form of Partick Thistle.

An even first half saw Partick create the better chances but poor finishing in front of goal and some fine saves from Derry netminder Kyle Burns kept the game scoreless.

The second period was much of the same, again Partick on top in the chances tally, with the best effort being a 25-yard shot from Matthew Collins which Burns touched onto the crossbar before going over for a corner.

And on to penalties to decide where the title would go, and it was the Scottish side that carried away the O'Neills Foyle Cup Under-15 trophy.

But there was further success for the Candystripes as their Under-17 team came away with a 3-1 victory over English side Altrincham in the evening kick off at the Brandywell.

Altrincham took the lead through a penalty after four minutes, and this spurred the local side on with constant pressure on the visitors' final third.

In a tough physical encounter, the home side equalised through a fantastic volley from 18 yards out to finish the half level.

The Derry side were on top in the second period and two further goals saw them run out comfortable winners.

In yesterday's other finals, Sion Swifts defeated Greencastle in the ladies' final, while in the underage groupings, Magherafelt Schoolboys beat Dungannon 4-1 in the Under-9 age group.

St Oliver Plunkett had a hard-fought 2-0 victory over Hamilton Academical in the Under-10 final and Inishowen Youths defeated Ballinamallard 2-0 in a tough encounter in the Under-11 final at Bishop's Field.

Again the tournament has proved to be a big hit with players and fans alike with some superb action.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph