Belfast Telegraph

Derry City part ways with Peter Hutton

By Eoin Wilson

Derry City will battle relegation without Peter Hutton, who left the club last night.

After discussions with chairman Philip O'Doherty, it was decided to bring Hutton's 17-month tenure as City boss, during which time the former club captain won just 22 of his 66 matches in all competitions, to an end.

The news comes less than 24 hours after Derry were dumped out of the FAI Cup by Cork City, who won 3-0 in a quarter-final replay at Turner's Cross.

Derry's Cup dream is sunk by classy Cork

A statement released by the club read: "The Derry City FC Board of Directors would like to announce that Peter Hutton has left the club by mutual consent.

"Derry City FC would like to thank Peter for his service, and we wish him well for the future. Paul Hegarty will take over as caretaker manager until the end of the season."

It has been a long and difficult season at the Brandywell for Hutton, whose side have flirted with relegation from the very beginning, due in main to their inability to replace Michael Duffy and Rory Patterson, who scored a combined 38 goals last season.

Derry's defeat in last year's FAI Cup final also meant a failure to qualify for Europe and resulted in a reduced budget for Hutton.

Signings such as Anthony Elding, Seanan Clucas and Sean Houston all backfired as all three left the club within a matter of months. Although others like Ciaran O'Connor and Conor McCormack have improved the squad, results have failed to pick up sufficiently enough.

While the likes of Limerick, Sligo Rovers and Drogheda United have all gained points of late, Derry have just three points from their last four games.

Assistant manager Paul Hegarty will take charge until the end of the season.

His first game will be against Pat Fenlon's Shamrock Rovers at the Brandywell on Friday night, followed by another difficult trip to Cork City.

Glenavon crashed out of the JBE League Cup on penalties to Annagh United after throwing away a 3-1 lead.

Goals from Andy Hall, Kevin Braniff and Declan O'Brien put the Lurgan Blues in front after Chris McElroy's early opener for the Championship 1 side.

Although Gary Hamilton and James McGrath scored their penalties, Annagh goalkeeper Marc Robinson saved three times, leaving Gary Boyle, Jamie Gardiner and Stephen Acheson to win the tie and set up a home meeting with Ards in the next round.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph