Belfast Telegraph

Derry fail to spark on night to forget

By Eoin Wilson

Dundalk 3 Derry City 0: Derry City had a terrible night at the office as the Candystripes former boss Stephen Kenny watched his side Dundalk cruise to a 3-0 success at Oriel Park.

Three goals after the break ensured Dundalk deservedly picked up the win, as they were dominant throughout the 90 minutes, in fact Peter Cherrie in the home side's goal had only one shot to save – and that came a minute from time.

After securing their first win of the season over Sligo Rovers last Friday night, the Candystripes still made a number of changes with Ryan McBride, Barry Molloy and debutant Mark Timlin coming in for Dean Jarvis, Rory Patterson and Michael Duffy, who all were amongst the substitutes.

Kenny's side went into the game full of confidence after their impressive away win at champions St Patrick's Athletic, but they were forced into a change with Kurtis Byrne coming in for John Mountney, who picked up a knee injury in their win at Richmond Park.

The home side were always on the front foot and had a half chance on eight minutes, but Stephen O'Donnell's snap-shot on the edge of the box failed to trouble Derry City goalkeeper Gerard Doherty.

Moments later talented midfielder Richie Towell went close, but his right footed strike, just like O'Donnell's didn't bother Doherty as it flashed just wide of the post.

The best chance of the match came mid-way through the first half when Byrne's right-wing corner was cleverly flicked on by Chris Shields, but left-back Dane Massey somehow fired over from close range.

The match was held up for a long period after City's Ryan McBride and Dundalk striker Patrick Hoban clashed heads five minutes before half time.

The injury to McBride was serious, he apparently swallowed his tongue, but thankfully the hardy defender was able to respond after he received treatment for a full 12 minutes before getting stretched off and going to hospital.

He was replaced by Jarvis and almost straight away City had a glorious chance to break the deadlock when a long ball fell to Enda Curran, his inch perfect pass found an in-rushing Barry Molloy, but the midfielder's first time shot was inches past Cherrie's right hand post.

That was as close as Derry came and the deadlock was broken on 61 minutes in super fashion as Byrne's left wing cross was drilled into the six yard box and giant centre-back Brian Gartland came rushing in to powerfully head home from close range.

Dundalk deservedly added a second following an outstanding slick counter-attack on 74 minutes.

Byrne picked up possession just inside his own half and raced at the City back-line before playing in Towell and the ex-Celtic starlet calmly made no mistake, firing a powerful effort beyond Doherty and into the net.

A minute from time a Towell cross field free-kick from the left caught out substitute Jarvis, Dundalk sub David McMillan brought the ball down and his low drive went through Doherty and found the bottom corner.

In stoppage time more flicks and a tricks from the home side ended with Massey's left-wing cross finding man-of-the-match O'Donnell, but his attempted back flick from close range flew just wide.

Dundalk: Cherrie, Gannon, Gartland, Boyle, Shields, O'Donnell, Horgan, Hoban (McMillan 55), Byrne, Massey, Towell. Subs: Higgins, Griffin, McMillan, Kelly, Rossiter, Meenan, Sava.

Derry City: Doherty, Collins, Byrne, McBride (Jarvis 40), Barry; Stewart, Molloy, Ventre, McGovern, Timlin (Duffy H-T); E Curran. Subs: P McEleney, S McEleney, Patterson, Curran, Gallagher.

Referee: Tomas Connolly (Meath).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph