| 16.3°C Belfast

Derry frustrated after failing to breach 10-man Pat’s

St Pat’s Athletic 1 Derry City 0


Chris Forrester is hailed after his winner. Credit: INPHO/Laszlo Geczo

Chris Forrester is hailed after his winner. Credit: INPHO/Laszlo Geczo

©INPHO/Laszlo Geczo

Chris Forrester is hailed after his winner. Credit: INPHO/Laszlo Geczo

It was frustration for Derry City in Dublin last night as they were unable to break through against 10-man St Patrick’s Athletic.

Ruaidhri Higgins’ team played over 30 minutes with an extra man after the second-half dismissal of Jamie Lennon, but despite constant pressure, they couldn’t get the goal they needed. City captain Eoin Toal hit the bar with a header but they were unable to test the Pat’s goalkeeper as the hosts held firm to go joint top of the Premier Division.

City probably should have been celebrating a goal just seven minutes in when Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe skillfully got away from Pat’s defender Paddy Barrett but he shot straight at goalkeeper Vitezslav Jaros.

It was St Pat’s who broke the deadlock midway through the half, however, as Cameron McJannet gave the ball away in midfield and Pat’s counter-attacked, Darragh Burns’ cross eventually falling to Chris Forrester who feigned to shoot on his left foot before turning onto his right and rifling the ball into the roof of the net to make it 1-0.

Pat’s had Derry on the ropes at this stage and it needed a last-gasp tackle from Toal to deny the hosts a second goal, the City captain saving his side as he blocked Billy King’s shot.

The game took a dramatic turn on 58 minutes when Lennon fouled James Akintunde and received a second yellow card from referee Neil Doyle, leaving the home side down to 10 men with over 30 minutes still to play.

City were immediately on the offensive and they came within the breadth of the crossbar from equalising, Toal’s powerful header beating Jaros but not the upright before substitute Evan McLaughlin had his goal-bound shot blocked.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

It was almost incessant pressure from City but they couldn’t find a way through as Pat’s held on for an important three points.

ST. PATRICK’S ATHLETIC: Jaros, Bone, Lennon, Benson, Forrester, Coughlan (King 25), Smith, McClelland, Lewis (Abankwah 62), Burns (McCormack 74), Barrett.

DERRY CITY: Gartside, Col (McLaughlin 58), Toal, McJannett, Boyce, Lafferty, Cole (Fitzgerald 54), Harkin, Malone (Ferry 72), Akintunde, Ogedi-Uzokwe.

Referee: Neil Doyle.

Man of the match: Chris Forrester

Match rating: 6/10

Top Videos