Belfast Telegraph

Dominant Derry City back to winning ways at the Brandywell

Derry City 2-0 Bray Wanderers

By Eoin Wilson

Derry City strengthened their position in the top three of the Premier Division with a comfortable 2-0 win over struggling Bray Wanderers at the Brandywell yesterday.

Goals from Josh Daniels and Nathan Boyle secured the Candystripes' first win at home in four outings in a largely one-sided game.

Particularly pleasing for boss Kenny Shiels was the dominance his team showed despite the absence of Barry McNamee and Rory Patterson, who missed the game through illness and injury respectively.

With Shamrock Rovers held to a surprise draw against Finn Harps at Tallaght, the hosts knew the importance of the three points on offer and they wasted no time in taking the lead.

The opening goal came after just seven minutes as Boyle took on the Bray defence, only to see his shot crash off the crossbar.

Fortunately for Derry, however, the rebound fell to Daniels, who netted for his third goal of the season. The Candystripes continued to stroke the ball at will, and it was no surprise when they made it 2-0 on 21 minutes.

Defender Aaron Barry was allowed to bring the ball out from the back before he picked out a pass for the run of Boyle.

It was a race to the ball between Boyle and goalkeeper peter Cherrie and the Derry striker got there first.

By the time Boyle turned towards goal, Cherrie was back in position but the youngster went for goal regardless and the flat-footed keeper could only look on in agony as the ball sneaked past him into the corner.

The second-half was a non-event despite a significant improvement from the visitors, who should have scored when Robbie Creevy was picked out unmarked but he somehow headed wide.

But it was Derry who finished the stronger and Aaron McEneff was unlucky to see his shot hit the post on 90 minutes.

Derry City: Doherty, Vemmelund, McBride, Barry, Darvis, Daniels (Doherty 88), McCormack, McEneff, Schubert, Ward (Holden 82), Boyle (Allen 82).

Bray Wanderers: Cherrie, Kenna, McNally, Brennan, Salmon, Kelly (Lewis 62), Marks (Douglas 66), Connolly, Creevy, McDonagh (Pender 45), Harding. Referee: Paul McLaughlin.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph