Belfast Telegraph

Sports Awards

Newry enjoy family fortunes

Newry City 2 Dungannon Swifts 1

By Gareth McCullough

It was a tale of two penalty takers at The Showgrounds last night as Stephen Hughes converted twice from the spot to give his Newry side their opening win in the top-flight after his brother Daniel had missed for the Swifts from 12 yards in the first period.

All the action in the first half happened in a 12-minute period.

Dungannon had a glorious opportunity to go in front on 19 minutes. A ball into the area saw Daniel Hughes hold it up before trying to spin away from Darren King. Referee Shane Andrews adjudged the Newry man to have pulled down his former team-mate and pointed for a penalty.

Daniel Hughes saw former Swifts keeper Andy Coleman, making his first start for his hometown club in his second spell at The Showgrounds, dive to his right to keep it out.

Newry probably should have gone in front a minute before the half-hour. Mark Hughes' corner from the right was knocked down by Decky Carville to Stephen Teggart in space 12 yards out, but the youngster could only blast over the crossbar.

After City's Mark McCabe had shot over and Dungannon's Kris Lowe had fired straight at Coleman before the break, there was controversy just before the hour as the home side felt they should have been awarded a spot-kick.

This time Mark Hughes curled in a free-kick from the left and Carville appeared to have been hauled to the ground by David Armstrong, but the referee waved away Newry appeals.

City then went close to scoring their first goal in top-flight football when Teggart broke into space down the right to clip in a precision ball to Carville, whose glancing header beat Alex Moore only to come back off the post.

However, Newry did make their pressure count on 68 minutes and this time they were awarded a penalty when Jake Dykes pulled down Carville.

Stephen Hughes put his spot-kick in the same place as his brother's in the first half, but this time it hit the net.

They doubled that advantage on 72 minutes with a second penalty that was even more clear-cut than the first as again Carville was fouled, this time by Lowe, and once again Stephen Hughes slotted home.

There were still two big chances. Firstly, Coleman made an excellent reflex stop to deny Rhyss Campbell's header before Moore did equally as well to stop Paddy Mooney.

Dungannon did pull one back on 89 minutes when Jarlath O'Rourke curled home but it didn't prove to be enough.

NEWRY CITY: Coleman, King, Mooney, Noonan, Boyle, McCann, Carville (Montgomery, 83 mins), McCabe, S Hughes (Johnston, 85 mins), M Hughes, Teggart (Lavery, 82 mins). Subs not used: Maguire, Johnston, Delaney, McArdle, Healy.

DUNGANNON SWIFTS: Moore, Dykes, Wilson, Armstrong (Campbell, 58 mins), D Hughes, McMullan (McElroy, 70 mins), Harpur, Teggart (Patton, 70 mins), O'Rourke, Lowe, Coyle. Subs not used: Addis, Soares, Burke, McAllister.

Man of the Match: Decky Carville (Newry)

Referee: Shane Andrews

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph