Belfast Telegraph

Duns maintain their impressive home form to edge out on top


By Stuart McKinley

Dundela shot themselves back to the top of the Bluefin Sport Championship with a third win in four home games this season.

Injury-time goals at the end of each half helped the Duns to a 3-1 victory over Queen's University.

Eoin Kane put Dundela 1-0 up nine minutes before half-time with a sweet strike from the edge of the box and Carl McComb doubled the lead right on the interval.

Queen's introduced Jonah Mitchell at the break and he got them back into the game midway through the second half with an effort from just outside the box, but comeback hopes were crushed in the dying seconds when Dundela broke away and Tiarnan McNicholl struck the third.

Ballinamallard United moved up into fourth place with a third win in four outings - a run which has seen them go unbeaten and concede just one goal - when they won 2-0 away to Harland & Wolff Welders.

Josh McIlwaine headed them in front with 11 minutes on the clock, but they only secured the points in the final minute when Ryan Campbell netted.

PSNI made it back-to-back wins to jump off the bottom of the table and into ninth place with a 3-1 victory at home to Dergview.

Sign In

They were 2-0 inside 12 minutes thanks to Brian Cabraley and Tony Tumelty before Dale Maxwell pulled one back midway through the first-half. PSNI had sealed the points before the break when Tumelty added the third a minute later and Andrew Sproule missed a second-half penalty that could have given Dergview some hope.

Knockbreda are now bottom after they let a 2-0 lead slip at Newry City. David Fearon's penalty put them ahead before Alex Pomeroy doubled the lead.

Newry fought back to take a point thanks to goals from John McGovern and Neil Mullen.

There were two dramatic comebacks in Friday night's games. Ballyclare Comrades looked to have the three points wrapped up by half-time when they led Loughgall 4-0 only to concede five times in the second-half. Manager Stephen Hughes resigned after the game and the club have acted swiftly to replace him with Paul Harbinson.

Portadown had trailed Ards 2-0 at the break, but were 3-2 up just after the hour mark before scoring a fourth in injury-time.

RESULTS: Ards 2 Portadown n4; Ballyclare 4 Loughgall 5; Dundela 3 Queen's 1; H&W Welders 0 Ballinamallard Utd 2; Newry City 2 Knockbreda 2, PSNI 3 Dergview 1.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph