Belfast Telegraph

Gibson dispute rumbles on

By Graham Luney

FIFA are not expected to rule on the Darron Gibson dispute until next week.

The governing body heard the Irish FA's side of the story in Zurich yesterday and another meeting has been arranged with FAI officials next Monday to listen to their arguments.

An IFA statement read: "The IFA reaffirms its commitment to the independence of football internationally and looks forward to FIFA resolving the issue satisfactorily. There will be no further comment from the IFA on the matter at this stage."

A FIFA spokesman told the Belfast Telegraph: "Our meeting with the IFA regarding the Darron Gibson eligibility issue took place today. There is not a lot we can say until after the meeting with FAI officials next Monday.

"Once that meeting has taken place FIFA will be able to comment on the results of those meetings."

Gibson played for Northern Ireland Under-16s but then opted for the Republic. Since then, the Derryman has earned Under-17, Under-19, Under-21 and his two full caps for the Republic.

Pat Fenlon has been installed as manager of the Republic of Ireland's Under-23 side. The Dubliner has been out of work since leaving Derry City after just 11 games in charge earlier this year.

The side will compete in the UEFA Under-23 International Challenge Trophy and will play in the same group as David Jeffrey's Northern Ireland side, Belgium and Slovakia. Fenlon's first game in charge will be at Dalymount Park against Slovakia on November 13.

Derry City have now gone five league matches without a win. City were held 1-1 last night in an Eircom League battle away to Bray Wanderers.

Manager John Robertson was furious with the performance of his men in Friday's 0-0 draw with UCD at the Brandywell and his mood failed to improve last night when Bray netted an injury-time equaliser. Gareth McGlynn opened the scoring in the 26th minute but Paul Dunphy ensured a share of the spoils.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph