Belfast Telegraph

Glenavon hammer Ballymena 4-0 - and all the rest of Friday's Irish League action

By Gareth Hanna

It was another thrilling night of Irish League action, 12 goals across three games as Glenavon and Ards picked up big wins while Coleraine were held.

Here's all you need to know from Friday night's games:

Glenavon 4-0 Ballymena United

Glenavon made it three wins it a row with an entertaining second half display to punish 10-man Ballymena.

The hosts opened the scoring on the hour-mark with a flowing move. The classy Mark Sykes slipped a through ball to Rhys Marshall and his cut-back to Aaron Harmon allowed the midfielder to slam home his first goal for his new club.

Josh Daniels made it two with a delightful looping header on the end of Dylan King's free-kick.

Half-time substitute Stephen Murray had transformed Glenavon's play and got his just rewards when he calmly took down Daniels' ball and smashed in the third.

Quality play from Daniels on the left then teed up Andy Hall to convert the fourth.

Ballymena had enjoyed the lion's share of the first half before the sending off, Matthew Shevlin seeing an effort cleared off the line by Andrew Mitchell.

Ballymena went down to 10 men in the final minute of the first half, Andrew Burns shown a straight red for a studs up challenge on Mark Sykes, although the visitors felt aggrieved by referee Steven Gregg's decision.

Coleraine 2-2 Institute

Coleraine and Institute played out a tipsy-tie to 2-2 draw at the Showgrounds.

The newly-promoted visitors took a surprise half-time lead when Dean Curry headed in Gareth Brown's cross on 40 minutes.

Jamie McGonigle provided the equaliser with his 50th Coleraine goal, converting Stephen Lowry's ball.

Brad Lyons put the Bannsiders ahead, nodding home Aaron Traynor's cross but a Michael McCrudden penalty earned the visitors a draw.

Ards 4-0 Newry City

Colin Nixon's men got their first points of the season with a convincing win over the newly promoted Newry City.

Mark Kelly netted the opener for his second in two games and soon provided the assist for Jonny Frazer to put the hosts two ahead.

It was three by the end of the half, Kym Nelson curling a free-kick into the top corner.

Ards stopper Sam Johnston made sure he held on to his clean sheet, saving a second half penalty from Stephen Hughes.

And Frazer completed a top evening's work with his second of the game to round off the scoring.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph