Belfast Telegraph

Glenavon win should've been more comfortable: Lindsay

Glenavon 2 Carrick Rangers 0

By Adam McKendry

Glenavon first team coach Kris Lindsay says the result is all that matters after his side's 2-0 win over Carrick Rangers at Mourneview Park. The Lurgan Blues dominated proceedings, but they needed a Sammy Clingan penalty to get up and running before Andy Mitchell added a second late on to secure the three points.

"First half I thought we did rightly, we moved the ball quickly and created three or four really great chances and unfortunately we didn't take them," Lindsay said.

"We weren't clinical in front of goal. I thought we were poor enough in the second half, but we took the two chances we made and that's all that matters.

"There's games like this, the longer it goes on you get frustrated and you end up drawing them or losing them. We kept plugging away but we got the job done.

"It's a clean sheet and a win at home. You can't ask for more than that."

Mark Sykes had the first chance of the game, blazing over after a neat one two with Mitchell put him through on goal, while Mitchell himself spurned a great chance to break the deadlock, heading over from six yards.

The hosts should have led in the 25th minute when a deep Rhys Marshall cross rebounded off the crossbar and, with Harry Doherty stranded, James Singleton inexplicably side footed over the empty net.

But the closest Glenavon came in the first half was four minutes before the interval, Adam Foley setting his sights from 25 yards and unleashing a powerful drive that flew just over.

After the restart, Doherty had to make a fingertip save from an Andrew Hall free-kick as the Lurgan side continued their momentum.

And the deserved Glenavon breakthrough finally came in the 65th minute after Patrick McNally was adjudged to have fouled Jordan Jenkins in challenging for an aerial ball and Clingan dispatched the resulting spot kick.

David McAlinden sent on Martin Maybin and Mikel Suarez to try and rescue a point and they nearly found an equaliser when Stuart McMullan looped a header just over the bar.

Carrick thought they should have had a penalty when Maybin was hauled back by Andrew Doyle, however his protests were waved away. Instead it was down to Mitchell, who turned his man on the edge of the box and curled a beauty past the helpless Doherty to bag the night's final goal.

Glenavon: Tuffey, Marshall, Kelly, Doyle, Singleton, Hall, Sykes, Clingan (Burns, 78 mins), Foley (Jenkins, 57mins), Mitchell, Daniels (McGrory, 89mins). Unused subs: Griffin, Marron.

Carrick: Doherty, McMullan, McNally, Gage, Edgar; McAllister (Suarez, 76mins), Malone, Clarke (Maybin, 73mins), Taggart, Smith (Roy, 64mins), Mooney. Unused subs: Morrow, Rice.

Man of the match: Mark Sykes

Match rating: 5/10

Referee: Keith Kennedy (Lisburn)

Fixtures Today (3pm): Ards v Coleraine, Ballinamallard Utd v Crusaders, Cliftonville v Dungannon Swifts, Linfield v Glentoran, Warrenpoint Town v Ballymena Utd

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph