Belfast Telegraph

Larmour secures win for Glenavon over Carrick Rangers

Glenavon 1 Carrick Rangers 0

Glenavon's Daniel Larmour during this evenings game at Mourneview Park. Credit: Andrew McCarroll/Pacemaker Press
Glenavon's Daniel Larmour during this evenings game at Mourneview Park. Credit: Andrew McCarroll/Pacemaker Press

Daniel Larmour grabbed the only goal of the game as Glenavon secured a welcome three points with a win over Carrick Rangers.

It was just 10 days ago that Carrick were scoring for fun against Glenavon with a resounding 6-2 win but Niall Currie’s men left their shooting boots at home on this occasion.

Larmour struck on the half-hour mark when he reacted quickest to James Singleton’s blocked effort from Sammy Clingan’s corner. Aaron Hogg had initially punched clear as Clingan’s corner almost crept in and in the scramble afterwards it was the Glenavon centre-back and former Carrick player who shot home.

In their last two games, Glenavon had conceded nine goals against East Antrim sides, with the drubbing by Carrick followed by Saturday’s 3-1 defeat by Larne, so Gary Hamilton will be delighted by this hard earned clean sheet.

For Carrick, they will look back on a multitude of missed chances with Keke the main culprit.

His first chance fell on nine minutes when some Lee Chapman tricky found the striker but he headed up rather than towards goal and the opportunity was lost.

Carrick continued to impress and Keke’s ambitious overhead kick wasn’t too far away, quickly followed by a wasted opportunity by Lloyd Anderson who blazed over after the Glenavon defence played themselves into problems.

Sign In

Keke could, and should, have had a hat-trick as a series of lucky breaks saw him swap a quick one-two with Chapman which put the French forward in and he screwed his shot past Johnny Tuffey and the upright.

Carrick’s front man just wasn’t have a good night of it. Caolan Marron’s mistake gifted him an opportunity but he took too long to get his shot off and the Glenavon defence managed to scramble the ball away.

The second half, played in swirling wind and, at times, driving wind, started a lot more even. The first real chance arrived after 63 minutes when Sammy Clingan curled a 20 yard free-kick around the wall and past the post.

Stephen Murray wasted a good chance on 75 minutes from a Kyle Beggs cross, taking a touch when a first time shot looked the better option, giving Hogg time to save.

Carrick pushed hard for the equaliser but they couldn’t find a way past a resolute Glenavon defence.


Glenavon: Tuffey 7, Larmour 7, Burns 7, Marron 8, Daniels 7, Marshall 6, Harmon 7 (Hall 5), Clingan 6, Beggs 7 (McCloskey 5), Murray 6 (Jenkins 5), Singleton 8.

Carrick Rangers: Hogg 6, Surgenor 7, Rodgers 6, Chapman 7, Kelly 7, Nixon 7 (Cherry 5), Ferrin 6, Neale 6, Keke 6 (McGreevy 5), Hassin 7, Anderson 6 (Smith 5).

 Referee: Tony Clarke 7

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph