Belfast Telegraph

Lurgan Blues' patience pays dividends in deserved win

By Gareth McCullough

Late goals from Rhys Marshall and Tiarnan Mulvenna secured all three points for Gary Hamilton's Glenavon at Milltown as they eventually broke Warrenpoint down to take a fully deserved win.

The visitors were the better side throughout but it took until the 79th minute for them to break the deadlock through Marshall before Mulvenna converted from the penalty spot to make it four points from six for the Mourneview Park men and leave the home side pointless from their two games

The best chance of the half arrived two minutes before the half hour when Guy Bates broke free down the right flank. He whipped in an inch-perfect cross to the unmarked Kyle Neill at the back post and while Neill did everything right, his downward header was superbly pushed away by Town keeper Jonny Parr.

Stephen McDonnell rifled a 35-yard shot wide of the left hand post for the home side 10 minutes before the break before Ciaran Gargan's curling free kick went just over as Barry Gray's side began to come into it at the tail end of the half but the sides remained scoreless at the interval.

Bates then went close just after the hour mark when he weaved his way towards the box but his low curling shot from 18 yards was comfortably held by Parr.

Four minutes later, Neill's superb diagonal ball from the left put Andy McGrory in on the opposite wing and he fired in a low drive that Parr pushed out and Kevin Braniff was unable to capitalise on the rebound.

Warrenpoint went as close as they had all match four minutes later when Daniel Hughes skipped past Marshall on the left touchline and his curling effort from 20 yards whistled just wide of James McGrath's post.

The breakthrough eventually arrived on 79 minutes when Neill's corner from the right wasn't properly cleared by the Warrenpoint defence and when McGrory touched it through to Marshall inside the area, the young full back whipped it home through a crowded penalty box.

They say goals are like buses and just four minutes after the opener had arrived, the second came and this time it was from the penalty spot.

Dermot McVeigh was judged to have brought down Bates and Mulvenna, only on the pitch for a minute, made no mistake to beat Parr from the spot.

Warrenpoint Town: Parr, King, McDonnell, McVeigh, Gargan (S Hughes 59), D Hughes, Bagnall, M Hughes (Havern 74), Moan, Boyle, Devlin

Subs not used: Cowan, Smith, Osobe

Glenavon: McGrath, Neill, Lindsay, Kilmartin (Martyn 59), Bates, Bradley, Dillon, Marshall, Braniff (Mulvenna 81), McCabe, Singleton (McGrory 30)

Subs not used: Hamilton, Foley, Mulvenna

Referee: E Boyce

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph