Belfast Telegraph

Glentoran 3 Coleraine 2

Glentoran earned their first Setanta Sports Cup victory of the campaign last night with a 3-2 victory over Coleraine in an entertaining clash at the Oval.

Darren Boyce gave the Bannsiders the lead against his old club before Andy Waterworth equalised for the Glens.

And the home side turned it on in the second-half with Daryl Fordyce and young Andy Hall giving them a two goal advantage.

Boyce popped up again to ensure Coleraine were never far away, but the Glens held on to take the win which keeps them in the frame to qualify for the next round and a victory away to Bohemians when the competition resumes next February should do just that.

Glens boss Alan McDonald expressed his annoyance at the weekend at the ease in which the champions are giving away goals.

He fumed at individual errors which were proving costly, this after watching his side come from two goals down for the second game in a row, this time to grab a point against Glenavon.

Some Glentoran players clearly weren’t listening, and once again, despite starting brightly, six minutes into the game they were a goal down after another sloppy mistake.

Kyle Neill was the guilty party as he attempted to take a quick free-kick and gave the ball away in the middle of the park.

Caught out by this, the Glens defence were struggling to get back as Stephen Dooley raced down the right and crossed for Boyce who, in acres of space, chested the ball home.

The Glens remained the better team and midway through the half had a couple of chances to level, with the in-form Fordyce at the heart of them.

Neill tried to make amends with a well struck shot from distance which Davy O’Hare spilled. Waterworth latched onto it and crossed for the unmarked Fordyce, but his header didn’t have the power to beat O’Hare.

Seconds later Neill’s low cross from the left was stabbed at by Fordyce, but again not with enough strength to get by O’Hare.

The inevitable equaliser finally arrived just before the half hour when Andrew Hall crossed superbly from the right, Fordyce dummied and Waterworth fired home from close range.

Coleraine still looked dangerous on the break, but it was from a set-piece that they nearly went back in front when Eunan O’Kane’s clever free-kick around the outside of the wall almost caught out Morris, but went into the side-netting.

The Glens started the second-half brightly, but on 51 minutes Coleraine had a goal disallowed when Mark Mukendi was adjudged to be offside, but eight minutes later the Glens finally went in front.

Kyle McVey was robbed by Richard Clarke and after racing in on goal, he fed Fordyce to score the goal he deserved and his second in two games.

Three minutes later it was 3-1 and a great moment for teenager Hall as he curled in superbly from 22 yards out.

The open nature of the game meant there was always going to be more goals and Coleraine pulled one back on 66 minutes when Rory Patterson crossed for Boyce to double his tally.

GLENTORAN: Morris, McGovern, Nixon, Ward (Black 78), Hill, Hall (Gardiner 88), McCabe, Clarke, Neill (Gillespie 60), Fordyce, Waterworth. Subs: Gibbons, Halliday, Hamilton, Callacher.

COLERAINE: O’Hare, Beverland, McVey, Mukendi, Watt, Dooley (Tolan 70), O’Kane, Harkin (Carson 67), Hegarty (Tommons 67), Boyce, Patterson. Subs: McCormack, Neil, McCallion, Canning.

Referee: Raymond Crangle (Belfast)

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph