Belfast Telegraph

Fantastic Jonny Frazer hits treble as Glentoran avoid League Cup banana skin

BetMcLean League Cup: Glentoran 5-1 Ballyclare Comrades

Jonny Frazer netted three goals in the first 23 minutes of Glentoran's win on Tuesday evening.
Jonny Frazer netted three goals in the first 23 minutes of Glentoran's win on Tuesday evening.

By Alex Mills

Jonny Frazer opened his Glentoran goal account by hitting a sensational hat-trick in the opening 24 minutes of this BetMcLean League Cup demolition of Ballyclare Comrades at The Oval.

Even though manager Mick McDermott made a staggering nine changes - Connor Pepper and Paul O'Neill were the only survivors - from the team that pocketed all three points from their league game at Ballymena United on Saturday, the east Belfast boys were much too slick.

McDermott had to watch from the Directors' Box after he was red-carded following a bust-up with United's David Jeffrey in the tunnel area of the Showgrounds. He left his trusty assistant Paul Millar to bark out the orders.

Frazer was in dazzling form and he rocketed to the top of the Glentoran goal charts for the season in extra-quick time.

New Dutch signing Elvio van Overbeek also got in on the scoring stakes in the first half.

The Comrades did enjoy a little respite with Joseph Tully reducing the deficit after the restart, but that was as good as it got as Stevie Gordon piled on the agony by hitting his team's fifth.

Lethal Frazer, a summer signing from Ards who were relegated from the Premiership, required merely 11 minutes to breeze through a static defence before lumping a long drive under goalkeeper Tom Hegan.

Sign In

The home fans were still celebrating when Overbeek was given the freedom of The Oval and, when confronted by Hegan, he nonchalantly clipped the ball over the shot-stopper.

Hegan did rescue his team on 17 minutes, getting down smartly to turn a Joe Crowe - he had just replaced the injured Tom Byrne - shot past the post.

But Frazer then went into overdrive. Glens goalkeeper Elliott Morris fired over a long clearance which caused havoc in the Comrades defence and, when O'Neill slipped a clever pass to Frazer, he tapped home.

Then, three minutes later, Pepper whipped in a delicious cross from the right and the little striker got up to loop a great header over a stranded Hegan.

Comrades hit a consolation on 58 minutes when Tully side-stepped Morris and finished.

But, on 67 minutes, Hegan flapped at an Overbeek cross and when the ball fell to Gordon, he just had to stab it over the line.

GLENTORAN: Morris, Birney, Gallagher, Frazer (Stewart 70), Pepper (Garrett 75), Byrne (Crowe 15, Smith, Gordon, McCarthy O'Neill, Overbeek.

Unused subs: McDaid, Plum, Cushnie, Antolovic.

BALLYCLARE COMRADES: T Hegan, McCune (Patchett 84), McIlveen (K Hegan 63), McQuitty, Robinson, Dobbin, Tully, Malone, Henry, Doey, Donnelly (McNeill 75). Unused subs: Sloss, Willigan.

Man of the match: Jonny Frazer

Match rating: 7/10

Referee: Keith Kennedy

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph