Belfast Telegraph

Oval deadlock as Glentoran seek more strike power

By Gordon Hanna

Glentoran 0 Ballinamallard United 0: Glentoran boss Eddie Patterson has wasted no time in sharpening the cutting edge which was sadly missing in this entertaining but scoreless draw at The Oval.

At the final whistle, he signed former Linfield and Lisburn Distillery hotshot Aaron Boyd who was destined for – and may yet achieve – a full-time career in foreign fields.

Afterwards the selfish side of Patterson emerged when he said: "Aaron is just back from Canada and was waiting for a full-time offer from Asia.

"Hopefully that won't come off and we'll have him until the end of the season.

"He'll know more this week but he has signed an amateur form with us for the time being. If it does come off, we won't stand in his way but if it doesn't we'll submit professional forms and that'll be him sorted for the season and he'll give us the extra firepower up front that we need."

It is easy to understand Patterson's desire to bring a proven striker on board because his team flattered to deceive.

The Glens enjoyed more than their fair share of possession but lacked a clinical finish.

They did get behind the Mallards defence on occasions but, as Patterson was quick to admit: "We didn't take the right options."

On the bright side ,Patterson revealed: "We are finally up to full strength.

"Mark Miskimmin and Richard Clarke are free from suspension and Jay Magee is over his injury and is back in training. And when he is fit, Aaron Boyd will provide the extra firepower."

Visiting boss Whitey Anderson was not behind the door either and justifiably claimed: "If you look at the whole 90 minutes, a draw was probably a fair result although we had the two best chances.

"Having said that, before the game I would have taken a point so from that point of view it was a great result for us.

"Yes ,they had more possession but didn't really bother us or hurt us. They are a good side but my lads were brave to come here and play as they did.".

Indeed, Ryan Campbell saw his shot come back of a post and Jason McCartney spurned what was possibly a match-winning opportunity in the 65th minute.

As if to even things out, United survived a late scare when Ryan O'Neill's cross evaded debut goalkeeper Fergal Murphy but he quickly recovered and snatched the ball just before it crossed the line.

GLENTORAN: Morris; O'Neill, Birney, Callagher, Hill (Bradley, 85 mins); Clarke (Henderson, 66 mins); Scullion, McAlorum, Howland, O'Hanlon (Hughes, 66 mins); Addis. Unused subs: McComb, Stewart

BALLINAMALLARD UNITED: Murphy; McConkey (Beacon 73 mins), Stafford, Carters, Keohane; Campbell, Currie, Beacom, McCartney; Cashel (Feeney, 76 mins), Crawford (McManus, 84 mins). Unused subs: McKenna, Edgar

Referee: Ian McNabb (Newtownabbey)

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph