Belfast Telegraph

Sports Awards

Irish Cup R6 Round Up: Cliftonville smash Crues in contentious north Belfast derby

Cliftonville have crushed Crusaders in contentious fashion to reach the Irish Cup quarter-finals.

Here's all you need to know about all the games:

Cliftonville 4-1 Crusaders

It was in controverial fashion that Cliftonville saw off their North Belfast rivals, helped by a Joe Gormley hat-trick.

It was Gormley's opening goal that was so contentious.

Declan Caddell has conceded the spot-kick and been sent off for a second yellow. When Brian Jensen saved Gormley's first effort, Caddell hadn't yet left the pitch at the opposite end.

The referee ordered it to be retaken and Gormley made no mistake second time round.

It got worse for the Crues when another Gormley penalty doubled the scores by the break.

He secured his hat-trick at the start of the second half and Stephen Garrett's fourth of the season made it 4-0.

A Gavin Whyte spot-kick pulled one back for the Crues but it was scant consolation as they exit their second trophy in a week after Tuesday's League Cup semi-final loss.

Linfield 1-0 Newry City

Linfield are safely through to the quarter-finals at the expense of their Championship visitors.

Andrew Waterworth's typically clinical effort made it 1-0 at the break and that was enough to win a tight tie.

Ballyclare Comrades 0-4 Glentoran

Curtis Allen netted four goals to send the Glens into the last eight.

Allen had bagged a hat-trick by the 37th minute to all but end the tie.

He scored an early brace just a couple of minutes apart then made it three by punishing an indecisive defence.

It was four on 49 through an Allen penalty

Ballymena United 2-2 Ballinamallard United (Ballymena win on penalties)

Ballymena battled back from 2-0 behind to win on penalties.

The Mallards took the lead when Stephen O'Flynn volleyed home on six minutes and it two two on 26 when Shane McGinty drove home.

Ballymena gave themselves hope on 37 through Jonathan McMurray and the same striker levelled late to take the game into extra time.

Glenavon 2-0 Dungannon Swifts

Glenavon are into the quarter-finals after this win over 10 man Dungannon.

Andrew Mitchell finally opened the scoring on 44 after a dominant first half from the hosts.

They also missed a penalty kick as Sammy Clingan uncharacteristically failed from the spot.

Dungannon's task was made all the harder when Mark Patton was sent off at the start of the second half and Glenavon soon made the points safe as Stephen Murray's deflected effort squeezed home.

Mark Griffin added the icing on the cake late on.

Coleraine 4-0 Institute

Coleraine are safely through to the quarter-finals after a routine win over the Championship leaders.

Jamie McGonigle opened the scores inside four minutes and it was two when Josh Carson's free-kick was deflected into his own net by Dean Curry.

Eoin Bradley was next to net, chipping home a finish for 3-0 at the break. McGonigle's second of the day made it four shortly after the restart

Larne 6-1 Dundela

Larne may not be in the top half of the Championship but they are in the last eight of the Irish Cup.

The game was over by the break as Larne were five up. Matthew Henry's fourth of the season opened the scores.

David McDaid's first for the club doubled the scores before David Scullion and Marty Donnelly got in on the act.

Thomas Stewart made it five by half-time and it was six when Donnelly curled a superb free-kick home.

Ex Glentoran defender Jay Magee netted a consolation for Dundela.

Loughgall 2-1 Ards

Loughgall are through to the quarter-finals for the second time in three seasons.

Ricky Copeland netted the winner in the third minute of injury-time against eight-man Ards.

Ards opened the scoring only 43 seconds in through a deflected Josh Kelly effort and it should have been two but Guillaume Keke missed an open net.

That was punished when Gary Liggett netted from the spot against his former club. It was just reward for the hosts and in particular dangerman Nathaneal Ferris, who won the penalty.

Loughgall were boosted when Ards' Kyle Cherry was dismissed on 53 for a second yellow and captain Michael Ruddy followed him via a straight red on 61.

Ross Clarke's Ards debut turned sour on 88 with a straight red before Ards' misery was compounded.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph