Belfast Telegraph

Irish Cup Round Up: Harney hat-trick sends Cliftonville through while Coleraine smash seven

Coleraine, Linfield, Glentoran and Ballymena are among the sides safely through to round six while three games went to extra-time.

It was another thrilling day's action with Coleraine hitting seven and Coleraine five.

Cliftonville 4-3 Warrenpoint Town (after extra time)

Martin Murray gave the visitors the lead on six minutes but the hosts had levelled by half-time through defender Jamie Harney. The Reds took the lead within 90 seconds on the second half beginning through Ross Lavery's close-range strike.

The Reds' Jamie McGovern was sent off on 66 and Martin Murray levelled with four minutes left. There was still time for Point boss Matthew Tipton to be sent off after coming on as a sub to make it 10 v 10 for extra-time.

Jamie Harney netted twice in the first half of extra-time to complete his hat-trick, although Warrenpoint would pull one back late on.

Carrick 1-3 Glenavon (after extra time)

Bobby Burns opened the scores shortly before half-time but a Mark Surgenor penalty had the hosts level to send the tie into extra-time.

James Singleton restored Glenavon's lead, converting Sammy Clingan's corner. Mark Surgenor was then sent off before Andrew Mitchell completed Carrick's woes.

Portadown 1-2 Ballyclare Comrades (after extra time)

Portadown went ahead on 27 through a fine finish from defender Adam McCallum. It seemed the in-form Ports would win their fifth game in a row when Ballyclare's Samuel McIlveen was shown a straight red 10 minutes after.

But the plucky visitors levelled on 57, the troublesome Adam Gray finding Stuart Nixon to tuck home his 12th of the season. It was 10 a side for extra-time as Portadown's Fra Brennan picked up a second yellow in injury-time.

And as the Ports couldn't make their man advantage count during the 53 minutes they held it, they were punished when Nixon rolled home with 90 seconds remaining.

Coleraine 7-0 Lisburn Distillery

On 60 seconds, Gareth McConaghie nodded home Darren McCauley's corner. Stephen Dooley celebrated his return to the Bannsiders by converting Josh Carson's cross and Jamie McGonigle's 10th of the season made it 3-0 at half-time.

Martin Smith got in on the act after the restart, tucking home a Dooley assist at the start of the second half. Ian Parkhill got the fifth and it was soon six separate scorers when Matthew Kirk struck a late double.

Linfield 5-0 Glebe Rangers

Kirk Millar gave the Blues the half-time advantage, firing into the top corner after coming on to replace the injured Jordan Stewart. It was 2-0 on 49 minutes when Mark Haughey headed in Stephen Lowry's cross.

Josh Robinson headed in the third and Matthew Clarke smashed home the fourth before Millar completed the scoring.

Crusaders 2-0 Maiden City

Jordan Forsythe opened the scoring in the second minute but the Crues couldn't extend their advantage further until 84 minutes when David Cushley doubled the scores.

Ballymena United 4-0 Moyola Park

Kyle Owens and Matthew Shevlin had made it 2-0 by half-time and it was three when Tony Kane struck from 40 yards into an open net as he made the most of a poor clearance from goalkeeper Farniok. Shevlin's second of the day made it four after Kevin Braniff's shot had been stopped by Farniok.

Ards 4-1 Crumlin Star

Michael Ruddy opened the scoring on seven minutes but James Doyle cut in from the right and curled in a superb leveller soon after. Dee-Dee McAllister put the hosts back into the lead and the task of the underdogs got harder when Joe McNeill was sent off towards the end of the half. Gareth Tommons' return from suspension was marked with Ards' third goal and Michael Ruddy's penalty made it 4-1.

Ballinamallard United 4-2 Immaculata

Sean Noble put the hosts in the lead for the break but former Linfield midfielder Brian McCaul levelled for the visitors shortly after the break with a stunning free-kick. Ryan Curran restored the advantage just four minutes later before a further Curran strike and an own-goal ended the tie, even if Kevin McGovern did net a consolation.

Dungannon Swifts 4-0 Limavady United

New signing Mark Patton marked his debut with an outstanding display and two first-half assists. Ryan Harpur headed in the first goal of the 3pm kick-offs to open the scores and Kris Lowe doubled the advantage shortly before the break, celebrating his birthday is perfect style.

The Swifts started the second half just as well, Jonny Lafferty soon extending the advantage to three. Harpur's second of the day made it four when he followed up to convert after a long range shot was saved.

Loughgall 4-1 PSNI

Lukasz Adamcyk gave the visitors the lead with a penalty but things soon turned sour as Peter Campbell (2), Nathaniel Ferris and Conor Mullen all struck for the hosts.

Larne 3-0 Dergview

Championship Player of the Month Darren Stuart gave Larne the lead on 72 and Ralph Kottoy made sure the Championship side were going into the sixth round before Stuart doubled his tally.

Newry City AFC 2-0 H&W Welders

The high-flying Championship side were held until midway through the second half before Keith Johston's late double sealed the tie.

Lurgan Celtic 1-2 Glentoran (1.30pm)

Glentoran made it safely through to the next round with a win that was more comfortable than the result suggests.

The Glens had one foot in the sixth round by the break care of Curtis Allen's strike and a Brian Toland clearance inadvertently sliced into his own net.

Aaron Rodgers did net for Lurgan Celtic right at the death but the referee's final whistle ended any hopes the Championship strugglers had of forcing extra-time.

Queen's University 0-1 Dundela (1.30pm)

Jordan Morrison gave Dundela a half-time lead and that proved enough to settle the tie and send the Championship side into the hat for the sixth round draw.

Knockbreda 0-2 Institute (1.30pm)

The runaway Championship leaders are through to the sixth round thanks to two first half strikes.

Gareth Brown netted the first goal of the day seven minutes into this one, soon to be followed in by Aaron Harkin's penalty as the Championship leaders earned a commanding advantage by the break.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph