Glenavon chairman Adrian Teer says an expanded Danske Bank Premiership with 13 or 14 teams next season is still possible.
Institute are appealing their relegation from the top flight and, if successful, the Premiership would need to have at least 13 sides next season.
A mathematical formula was used to determine final league standings, leaving Stute to claim that the principle of sporting integrity had been "severely compromised".
Portadown have secured promotion as winners of the Championship and Stute insist it is unfair to kick them out of the league while they sat only three points behind second from bottom Warrenpoint Town with seven games remaining when the season was curtailed due to the Covid-19 crisis.
PSNI are also appealing their relegation from the Championship, with both clubs' responses set to be studied by the Irish FA this week.
The Northern Ireland Football League has sought clubs' views on next season but no firm decisions can be taken until the appeal verdicts are known.
Lurgan Blues chief Teer, a former chair and member of the Northern Ireland Football League Board, has not ruled out an expanded top flight.
"We would be prepared to consider a 13 or 14 team league if it had to be that way, for one season," said Teer.
"Depending on how the Institute appeal goes, they (NIFL) may not give up on that idea."
Teer added: “Pending the outcome of that appeal, I don’t think you can assume it will remain a 12-team league.
“It would be very unfair for Portadown, as Championship champions, not to be promoted.
“If Institute win their appeal, then we could have an expanded Premiership. A 13 team league would leave one club idle every Saturday but we would be prepared to accept it for one season.
“NIFL asked clubs for their views on next season and, like most clubs, we would prefer it wasn’t shortened from the traditional 38 games.”
The Mourneview Park chief says he shares the view among clubs that Irish League football cannot return unless fans are allowed into stadiums.
“We are waiting on news of a Premiership meeting to determine a way forward,” he added.
“Irish League football has got to return in front of crowds.
“Fans are one of the lifebloods of the game, bringing in the essential matchday revenue.”
One big discussion point in the domestic game has been the all-Ireland League proposal which resulted in 10 clubs forwarding a letter to the Irish FA requesting that Uefa assess the plans.
Dungannon Swifts and Cliftonville were the only two top-flight sides not to place their signatures on a letter sent to Irish FA chief-executive Patrick Nelson requesting guidance from Uefa.
A new suggestion, articulated by Hypercube and the AIL Working Group, involves Irish League sides playing 22 games before a split, with the top six then progressing into an All-Island League along with the top eight League of Ireland teams to compete for the King of the Island Cup.
Glenavon chief Teer says would like to see more detail and analysis before believing it can be possible, while acknowledging the Irish FA must soften their stance.
“We are interested observers,” he says.
“A lot of flesh must be put on the bones before ourselves and possible other clubs can take any decision.
“The IFA would need to back it, of course.”
Meanwhile, Ballymena United and Cliftonville will find out today if their suspended players and staff have been given an Irish Cup reprieve.
Manager David Jeffrey and defender Steven McCullough are both due to miss out on Ballymena’s semi-final showdown with Coleraine next Monday, while Jamie Harney and Garry Breen are suspended for Cliftonville’s tie against Glentoran, which takes place a couple of hours later.
The respective bans were picked up earlier this year before Covid-19 shut football down.
A response to their appeals is due to be conveyed to the two clubs today.