Belfast Telegraph

Irish League Round Up: Curtis Allen notches 100th Glentoran goal while Linfield leave it late for comeback win

Glentoran's Curtis Allen celebrates his 100th goal for the club
Photo Andrew McCarroll/Pacemaker Press
Glentoran's Curtis Allen celebrates his 100th goal for the club Photo Andrew McCarroll/Pacemaker Press
Glentoran's Curtis Allen celebrates his 101st goal for the club Photo Andrew McCarroll/Pacemaker Press
Glentoran's Curtis Allen celebrates his 101st goal for the club Photo Andrew McCarroll/Pacemaker Press
Ballymena's Adam Lecky celebrates his goal at Warden Street in Ballymena.

Curtis Allen's 100th Glentoran goal helped his side to a smashing 4-0 win over Ards, while Linfield snatched a last gasp winner to beat Dungannon.

Elsewhere, Ballymena United beat Crusaders, Cliftonville beat Coleraine and Institute saw off 10 man Warrenpoint

Glentoran 4-0 Ards

Curtis Allen's 100th goal for Glentoran helped his side to a routine win at the Oval, the striker supreme even going on to bag his 101st.

The forward nipped in wide on the left to capitalise on a misunderstanding between David Elebert and Ards keeper Sam Johnston to finish from a narrow angle for that landmark striker 12 minutes in.

It was two on 44 minutes when Robbie McDaid profited from a lung-busting Ross Redman run, the full-back striding into the box and unselfishly squaring for the young forward's fifth goal of the season.

It was three before the hour-mark and in spectacular style. After a long throw bounced about the box, it eventually fell to the captain Marcus Kane to curl perfectly into the top corner.

Allen again showed why he's such a hot-shot soon after, finding the bottom corner when Chris Gallagher fed a perfect pass through.

Sign In

Glens sub John McGuigan was shown a straight red in injury-time but it was Allen's day at the Oval.

Dungannon Swifts 1-2 Linfield

Linfield came back to beat 10-man Dungannon with a last gasp winner at Stangmore Park.

It was defender Mark Stafford who delivered the telling goal with an 88th minute header to beat Niall Morgan and a spirited Swifts.

The Swifts took a deserved lead shortly before the break, Dougie Wilson looping a header over Roy Carroll from Mark Patton's crossed free-kick.

Linfield were level soon after the restart when good work by Niall Quinn on the left whipped in a cross that Jake Dykes could only smash inadvertently into his own net.

Things were made more difficult for the hosts soon after when Seanan Clucas was sent off after picking up his second booking.

And just when they thought the might hang on for a point, Stafford broke the hosts' hearts.

Ballymena United 3-0 Crusaders

Ballymena United picked up a deserved victory as Crusaders' return to the site of last season's title party didn't go to plan.

Adam Lecky gave the hosts the lead 12 minutes in, getting on the end of Leroy Miller's through-ball to nick a finish past Sean O'Neill.

It was two midway through the second half when William Faulkner looped a superb shot into the top corner.

It was three when Andy McGrory put the icing on the cake just 90 seconds after the second goal, Crues keeper Sean O'Neill seeming to misjudge the effort.

Coleraine 1-2 Cliftonville

Cliftonville are up to fourth after an impressive win at the Showgrounds.

Levi Ives put the visitors into the lead with an inch-perfect free-kick, a feat that is becoming the full-back trademark after a couple of similar strikes in recent weeks.

The Bannsiders had it all to do when Rory Donnelly took advantage of slack marking, heading in a corner kick from close range.

Darren McCauley gave his side hope, converting after good work from Jamie McGonigle got down the right flank to slide a cross into the middle.

Eoin Bradley could have equalised late in the game but saw his effort saved as the Reds held on.

Warrenpoint Town 0-1 Institute

Michael McCrudden's sixth goal of the season opened the scoring on 59 minutes, a sweetly struck shot nestling into the top corner.

Things went from bad to worse for Point minutes later when Ciaran O'Connor was issued with a straight red card for a challenge on scorer McCrudden.

Glenavon 2-0 Newry

And in the late kick off Glenavon secured the points against Newry City.

Andrew Hall opened the scoring for the home side on 79 minutes and Ben Doherty secured the victory three minutes later with a goal straight from a corner.

Declan Carville, meanwhile saw red for the visitors.

The result put the Lurgan Blues back on the top of the table.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph