Belfast Telegraph

Irish League Round Up: McCauley seals a point as Coleraine punish ten-man Crusaders while Glenavon down Linfield at Windsor

By Gareth Hanna

Coleraine came from behind to deny Crusaders a win in the top two clash.

Meanwhile, Glenavon beat Linfield and there were wins for Ards and Warrenpoint.

Coleraine 3-3 Crusaders

Coleraine came from 3-1 behind to snatch a draw and almost claim a win over 10 man Crusaders at the Showgrounds. The Crues stay a point clear at the top.

Gavin Whyte had the visitors in the driving seat, 2-0 up by half-time. On 37, the winger jinked past Aaron Traynor an unleashed an unstoppable effort across Chris Johns and into the net. His second was less spectacular as he tapped over after Paul Heatley stole possession, strode past Adam Mullan and struck the post.

Three minutes into the second half, Jamie McGonigle tapped home after Eoin Bradley got past Howard Beverland and bulled the ball past keeper Sean O'Neill. But the Crues restsored their two-goal lead on 57, Paul Heatley executing a one-two with Owens and providing a fine finish.

The hosts' hope was restored six minutes later when Colin Coates was deservedly dismissed for a second yellow. The first was for an altercation with Bradley and the second for hauling down the Coleraine striker. Jamie McGonigle rifled home the Bannsiders' second on 68, a smasher from outside the area.

Astonishingly, the Bannsiders were level on 76 as Martin Smith's cross was flicked home by Darren McCauley. That came just seconds after Chris Johns had done well to save from Heatley.

Coleraine pushed for the winner and there was still time for Sean Ward to clear an Eoin Bradley effort, although the lobbed effort may have been heading for the post.

Linfield 2-3 Glenavon

Glenavon overturned an early Linfield goal to go six clear of the Blues and allow Cliftonville into fourth.

Linfield went into an early lead through Kurtis Byrne's second goal in as many games but Glenavon were level minutes later. Centre-back Simon Kelly headed home a Bobby Burns corner-kick with Roy Carroll injured in the process, colliding with James Singleton. The international stopper received treatment and stayed on but couldn't stop Andrew Mitchell's first league goal in over two months giving the hosts' the lead at the start of the second half.

Mark Griffin put the icing on Glenavon's cake, converting from Stephen Murray, who had earlier seen a one-on-one saved by Carroll. Andy Waterworth netted late but it was too little, too late for the hosts.

Cliftonville 3-0 Dungannon Swifts

Cliftonville are up to fourth in the table, going two points clear of Linfield care of this win.

Dungannon's Chris Hegarty hit the bar and Joe Gormley had a goal ruled out before Ross Lavery legally had the ball in the net for the Reds. A period of dominance paid off when he converted Stephen Garrett's cross after the forward had done well to keep the ball in play.

Soon after, Jay Donnelly curled in from the edge of the box and then Garrett scored a goal of his own to seal the Reds' first league win in five.

Ards 1-0 Ballymena United

Ards are now just a point behind eighth placed Dungannon with a game in hand.

Reece Glendinning bagged the winner before the break, firing past his brother Ross in the Ballymena goal.

Warrenpoint Town 1-0 Ballinamallard United

Warrenpoint are ten clear of basement side Ballinamallard after a narrow home win.

Point went head shortly before the break, Conor McMenamin heading home Alan Davidson's cross.

Carrick Rangers P-P Glentoran

Bluefin Sport Championship

Dergview P v P Loughgall  (Waterlogged Pitch)

H&W Welders 2 v 1 PSNI

Knockbreda 0 v 1 Newry City

Bluefin Sport Premier Intermediate League

Donegal Celtic 2 v 3 Annagh United

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph