| 18.7°C Belfast

Irish League Round Up: Shayne Lavery's 15 minute hat-trick helps Linfield to seven goal success


Shayne Lavery scored a quickfire hat-trick against his former club.

Shayne Lavery scored a quickfire hat-trick against his former club.

Shayne Lavery scored a quickfire hat-trick against his former club.

Shayne Lavery stole the headlines on Saturday with a hat-trick in the opening 15 minutes at Windsor Park.

Here's all you need to know about the day's games:

Linfield 7-0 Glenavon

Linfield are up to second after a stunning success at Windsor Park.

Shayne Lavery had a hat-trick by the time the clock struck 15 minutes at Windsor Park, setting Linfield on their way to an eye-catching victory.

The opener was a goal made at Mourneview, former Glenavon winger Joel Cooper setting up another ex-Lurgan Blue for the finish.

It was another cross that brought the second, this time Bastien Hery setting Kirk Millar off to cross for Lavery to slot home.

Glenavon already had it all to doubt it was all-but game over soon after when Lavery picked up a blocked Hery shot and turned into space to find the bottom corner.

Hery got his own just rewards soon, converting after more good build-up from Cooper.

The ex-Glenavon winger got in on the act at the start of the second half, cutting in from the right wing to fire home a left-footed finish.

It was six when Jimmy Callacher headed home and Andy Waterworth rounded things off with a neat header for 7-0.

Glenavon are now only three points off 11th spot as their disappointing start to the season continued.

Crusaders 5-2 Glentoran

Crusaders move six points clear at the top of the league with a convincing win over the Glens, Jordan Owens scoring twice.

Owens did what Owens does to open the scoring, heading home a telling Ross Clarke delivery.

It was two soon after the break, Paul Heatley's latest entry into his personal book of stunners as he beat his man before blasting a thundering effort past Antolovic.

It was three when Patrick McClean blocked Owens' effort with an arm and BJ Burns converted from the spot.

Glentoran didn't give it and clawed a goal back soon after when John Herron converted the rebound after Hrvoje Plum's free-kick had struck the post. It could have been 3-2 moments later when Jonny Frazer couldn't convert one-on-one before Herron's follow-up was cleared off the line.

All hope was dashed when Owens blasted home his second of the day after more good work from Clarke, who got his just rewards with the fifth. Plum found the net with a trademark free-kick at the end but the Glens drop to sixth.

Ballymena United 2-1 Cliftonville

Ballymena pulled off a remarkable comeback win to move into the top half of the table.

The Reds were deservedly ahead at the break, Rory Donnelly opening the scores on 24. After an early onslaught from the visitors at the Showgrounds, the first goal arrived at the end of a flowing move. Conor McMenamin found Joe Gormley and the striker played a delicious through pass for Donnelly to find the bottom corner via the inside of the post.

Ballymena improved after the opener and added another gear to their engine at half-time, getting their rewards for a strong finish to the second half when Andy McGrory converted the impressive Leroy Millar's cross.

McGrory turned creator for the second, his right-wing cross teased in to the back post, where Conor McDermott couldn't help but send it into his own net.

Gormley had a big chance to level in injury-time but Ross Glendinning won the one-on-one fight to earn the three points.

Warrenpoint Town 1-3 Institute

Warrenpoint are now four points adrift at the bottom of the table, still on zero, after an eighth straight league defeat.

McCready struck with an early double-whammy to heap misery on the hapless hosts. The first arrived when his low shot couldn't be kept out by Evan Moran and the keeper was picking the ball out of his net again a minutes later when McCready stole in to nick home an attempted back-pass.

Dungannon Swifts 2-1 Carrick Rangers

Dungannon Swifts moved above Larne into seventh with a controversial victory at Stangmore Park.

The opener arrived when Mark Patton fed in Oisin Smyth to open the scoring with a dinked finish and the lead was doubled by Kris Lowe, who converted a Ryan Waide cross.

Controversy arrived rear the end of the half as the linesman flagged for offside against Carrick. Referee Andrew Davey didn't agree but Dungannon didn't play to the whistle. When Carrick picked up the ball, the cross came in and Stewart Nixon fired home. Dungannon weren't happy and Andrew Davey chalked off the goal, leading to Carrick coach Andy Hunter being dismissed for his protests.

Rangers did halve the deficit the other side of the break, Lee Chapman converting but Dungannon held on

Coleraine 0-0 Larne

Coleraine are now five points behind leaders Crusaders after a scoreless stalemate at the Showgrounds.

Belfast Telegraph