Belfast Telegraph

Irish League Round-Up: Substitute Gormley nets a double for Reds while ten-man Coleraine hold Glentoran

Ballinamallard 1-3 Ballymena; Carrick Rangers 1-2 Cliftonville; Crusaders 1-1 Dungannon Swifts; Glenavon 3-0 Ards; Glentoran 0-0 Coleraine; Warrenpoint 1-4 Linfield (Fri)

By Gareth Hanna

Cliftonville bagged a much-needed victory over Carrick Rangers thanks to substitute Joe Gormley on Saturday.

Elsewhere, Coleraine dropped their first points of the season and free-scoring Glenavon hit another three. Here are all the details you need:

Carrick 1-2 Cliftonville

A Joe Gormley double turned this hard-fought match on its head for a much needed Cliftonville win.

Eamon McAllister opened the scoring in the opening seconds as his corner drifted straight in at the near post.

Cliftonville set about finding an equaliser almost immediately and the dangerous Rory Donnelly soon struck the post. It took the introduction of Joe Gormley off the bench at half-time to find that magic touch, which he provided when he weaved through the home defence and finished clinically.

The former Peterborough man completed the comeback with an 82nd minute penalty.

Glentoran 0-0 Coleraine

Glentoran missed an injury-time penalty as Coleraine managed to see out a 0-0 draw to go back to the top of the table by one point.

Coleraine's Josh Carson was sent off for a straight red card on just 20 minutes but his side held on for a point and even had chances to maintain their 100% record.

Glentoran had a great chance to win with an injury-time penalty but John McGuigan slipped and his effort skied well over the bar.

The goalkeepers were on top during a frantic second half. Elliott Morris made two particularly smart saves from a Jamie McGonigle 20 yard effort and another Ian Parkhill strike. Ciaron Harkin also struck the post for the visitors.

At the other end Chris Johns had to be smart to stop a particularly dangerous Robbie McDaid effort and saw that late spot-kick miss. Coleraine go back on top but are now just a point clear of Linfield.

Glenavon 3-0 Ards

A Mark Sykes double helped Glenavon to their third win in four matches.   

The midfielder opened the scoring on 12 minutes with a left-footed shot and a Johnny Taylor own-goal, the defender heading in James Singleton's long throw, made it two at the break.

Ards thought they had halved the deficit within seconds of the restart but, with the players ready to kick-off at 2-1, the referee consulted with his assistant and chalked it off.

That proved double costly for Ards when Sykes drove home, this time with his right foot just a few minutes later to seal the points.

Crusaders 1-1 Dungannon Swifts

Crusaders slipped up to a second successive home draw, surrendering a second half lead to Rodney McAree's Swifts.

Jordan Owens and Cormac Burke went closest at either end during a dreary first half.

The second half proved more etertaining and Sean Ward had to clear Paul McElroy's effort off the line as the visitors threatened. Owens rewarded his defensive team-mate just a few minutes later as a cross wasn't dealt with by Stuart Addis and went in off the forward.

The lead, however, didn't last long - just 90 seconds as Chris Hegarty soon headed in his third goal in three games for the Swifts. Addis had to save late efforts from Owens and Philip Lowry to seal a hard-earned point.

Ballinamallard 1-3 Ballymena United

Ballinamallard's search for a second point of the season continues as an inspired Ballymena made it five wins from their last six games.

Leroy Millar blasted home the first with a well taken drive, getting on the end of a Tony Kane corner.

And it was Kane himself who made it two on 22, nestling home a penalty. Cathair Friel's header on an Andrew Burns crossed free-kick had made the points safe by the time Josh McIlwaine netted a consolation for the Mallards.

Warrenpoint 1-4 Linfield (Friday night)

A Louis Rooney double and strikes from Aaron Burns and Mark Stafford saw David Healy's Linfield take top spot in the Premiership as they eased past struggling Warrenpoint at Milltown last night.

After Martin Murray had drawn the hosts level before the break, the champions stretched away from their opponents after the restart and never looked back.

Bluefin Sport Championship

Dergview 1 v 1 Ballyclare Comrades

Limavady United 2 v 1 PSNI

Loughgall 2 v 1 Larne

Lurgan Celtic 2 v 2 H&W Welders

Newry City 0 v 1 Institute

Portadown 0 v 1 Knockbreda

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph