Belfast Telegraph

Larne put six past Glenavon at Inver Park

Danske Bank Premiership
Danske Bank Premiership

By Ian Cahoon

Larne heaped more misery on Glenavon with six of the best at Inver Park.

The Lurgan Blues came into the game on the back of last Saturday’s seven goal mauling at the hands of Champions Linfield. The visit to Inver Park provided little relief, with a brace apiece from Davy McDaid’s hat-trick, added to by Marty Donnelly’s brace and Johnny McMurray’s goal.

The game was as good as over after 24 minutes, with Tiernan Lynch’s men 3-0 up.

They were quickly out of the traps as Donnelly tested Johnny Tuffey after just three minutes, but his low effort from 20 yards was too close to the former Linfield stopper, and he was down easily to gather.

There was little he could for the opening goal eight minutes later, however.

Ben Tilney’s surging run was ended abruptly just inside the ‘D’. With Davy McDaid and Donnelly standing over the ball, it was the latter who stepped up and got his free-kick over the wall and down into the bottom right corner.

The lead was doubled on 16 minutes with a fine contribution from goalkeeper Conor Devlin.

Sign In

His quick thinking saw him place a drop kick into the path of Johnny McMurray. The striker, signed from Ballymena United in the summer, let the ball run ahead of himself into the box, he took one touch inside Eoin Wearen before firing a half volley into the top corner.

Another quick counter attack for Larne on 24 minutes saw them make it 3-0.

This time Ben Tilney was the provider down the left. He slipped the ball into Marty Donnelly, who was able to turn past Burns en route to goal, before slipping the ball under Tuffey.

The shellshocked visitors tried to find a way back into the game and almost had it with James Singleton’s header, from Patrick Burns cross, but it was too close to Devlin.

If it wasn’t already, the game was as good as wrapped up five minutes into the second half.

This time Marty Donnelly was the provider, as he switched the play across the pitch to Davy McDaid, who was in space on the left and he fired into the roof of the net from 16 yards to make it 4-0.

The visitors had two chances in quick succession to pull a goal back. Firstly, on 54 minutes. Andy Mitchell saw his close range effort hit the base of the post and six minutes later Devlin made a fine reflex save to keep out Rhys Marhsall’s half volley.

Glenavon’s frailties at the back, coupled with Larne’s ability to counter attack at speed saw them make it 5-0 with 18 minutes left.

Marty Donnelly’s slaloming run ended with a blocked shot, only for McDaid to lash home his second of the night from close range to round off the scoring.

The former Derry City man grabbed the match ball with five minutes left, tapping in after a fine cross from Northern Ireland under-21 international Sean Graham.

Larne: Devlin, Flowers, Kelly (Randall ’41), Watson, Sule, McDaid, Donnelly, Tilney (Graham ’77), Cosgrove, Hughes, McMurray (McKendry ’64)

Unused subs: Pauley, McEleney, Andrade, Gilmour

Glenavon: Tuffey, Larmour (Harmon ’72), Burns, Marron, Marshall, Mitchell, Murray, Singleton (’87 McCloskey), Garrett, Jenkins (Beggs ’74), Wearen

Unused subs: Taylor, Hall, Barr, Hunter

Referee: Arnold Hunter

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph