Belfast Telegraph

Late leveller not good enough for Dungannon Swifts: Carvill

Dungannon Swifts 2 Institute 2

Michael Carvill
Michael Carvill
Adrian Rutherford

By Adrian Rutherford

Michael Carvill admitted Dungannon Swifts were still left deeply disappointed despite his late equaliser salvaging a draw against Institute.

The 10-man hosts were five minutes from a damaging defeat in this relegation six-pointer.

Carvill's smart turn and finish ensured it finished all-square, keeping the gap between the sides at five points.

But while there was a sense of relief at the equaliser, the striker felt it was a game Dungannon should have won.

"We needed to get something today, but we are bitterly, bitterly disappointed we didn't get all three points," Carvill said.

"Earlier in the season, when we were going through a bad time, we could have lost that game. But we dug in today, even though we didn't play well - to a man we agreed that.

"We know that if we had stepped up and played well, we probably would have won the game, so to get a point is relief more than anything."

Sign In

Cormac Burke gave Institute a seventh minute lead with a curling shot, but Dougie Wilson soon levelled from a free-kick.

Evan Tweed put the visitors back in front just past the half hour, scrambling the ball home after Burke's set-piece came back off the crossbar.

In the second half, the Swifts were reduced to 10 men when Wilson was dismissed for clashing off-the-ball with sub Brendan McLaughlin.

But Dungannon scrambled a point through Carvill on 85 minutes.

After the final whistle, players from both sides were involved in ugly scenes, with Dungannon captain Seanan Clucas and Institute duo Niall Grace and Gareth Brown all shown red.

PSNI officers were also called to deal with the fall-out, but no complaints were made.

A PSNI spokesperson said: "Police were called to an altercation at the Far Circular Road area of Dungannon on Saturday. Officers attended and no complaints were received by police."

In terms of the football, it was a missed chance for Dungannon to pull clear of the bottom two.

One of the positives was the performance of 17-year-old Ben Gallagher, who had a role in Carvill's equaliser.

Terry Devlin (16) also featured again after his debut at Ballymena United a week earlier.

Carvill added: "I've seen a lot of players in the league but Ben has got so much potential.

"He will keep his feet on the ground - he is a good lad with a good attitude, but he has got quality and you can see that."

For Stute boss Sean Connor, there was also a sense of frustration.

He said: "I'm disappointed with the result - I thought we were the better team, I thought we had more chances.

"I think they scored from probably the only two shots on target all day, so it's frustrating for us to have been so close to picking up three points."

DUNGANNON: Addis (Byrne, 56 mins), Teggart, Byers, Wilson, Redman (Devlin, 83 mins), Fitzpatrick, Clucas, Lowe, Patton (Waide, 60 mins), Carvill, Gallagher.

Unused subs: King, McGuinness, Coyle, Campbell.

INSTITUTE: Brown, Leppard, Curry, Tourish, McLaughlin, Tweed, McCauley, Grace, McNamee, Burke (McLaughlin, 78 mins), Brown. Unused subs: Wells, Morrow, Dunne, McIntyre, Bradley, Green.

Referee: Tony Clarke (Newtownabbey)

Man of the match: Cormac Burke

Match rating: 8/10

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph