Belfast Telegraph

League Cup third round results: Beggs double helps Dundela send Larne crashing out

Larne manager Tiernan Lynch and coach Tim McCann were in for a difficult night in the League Cup.
Larne manager Tiernan Lynch and coach Tim McCann were in for a difficult night in the League Cup.

There was one upset on last 16 evening in the Bet McLean League Cup.

Larne were sent crashing out at the hands of Championship opposition, while elsewhere, Coleraine edged out ten-man Glentoran.

Here's all you need to know about the evening's games:

Larne 1-3 Dundela

The big upset of the evening came at Inver Park as Owain Beggs scored twice to send the Championship side through.

The former Glentoran man scored the opener just seven minutes in, working space in the box to beat Conor Mitchell.

Dundela doubled their lead when Ross Holden netted on 72 minutes to spark a late flurry of action.

Larne restored the edge to the encounter on 76 when Albert Watson pulled a goal back but the nerves lasted only for five minutes, when Beggs scored his second to send the hosts crashing out.

Owain Beggs.jpg
Owain Beggs scored twice for Dundela.

Coleraine 2-1 Glentoran

Coleraine were made to work by ten-man Glentoran but ultimately did enough to reach the quarters.

The Glens were forced to play the final 63 minutes with 10 men after James McCarthy was shown two yellow cards, the second for a late challenge on Jamie Glackin.

The Bannsiders made their numerical advantage count on the hour-mark, Glackin heading home Ian Parkhill's cross.

Glackin was involved again as his side doubled the lead. The midfielder was fouled in the box and Ben Doherty tucked home the penalty.

Glentoran debutant Navid Nasseri restored hope for his side almost immediately, converting Daniel Pepper's cut-back but there was to be no late drama.

Dungannon Swifts 0-4 Linfield

The holders secured safe passage through to the last eight at Stangmore Park.

Stephen Fallon blasted in the opener with an eye-catching half-volley from 25 yards and it was two when Kirk Millar's free-kick somehow made it right through to the back post, where Jimmy Callacher could tuck home.

Millar again provided the delivery when Joel Cooper made the win safe, the winger netting with a diving header from a corner. Unsurprisingly, the goal-scoring hero from last season's final soon chipped in as Andy Waterworth made it four.

Ballymena United 6-0 Dollingstown

Full debutant Kenny Kane scored twice and laid on an assist as David Jeffrey's side had no problem easing past their Premier Intermediate League visitors at the Showgrounds.

Kane bagged the opener on 25, with stand-in skipper Leroy Millar making it 2-0 by the break.

Kane added an assist to his pleasing evening when he crossed for Shane McGinty and completed his fine evening by bagging the fourth.

Millar added a second of his own, converting from McGinty's assist before Ryan Mayse smashed in the goal of the night from long range.

Cliftonville 3-2 Bangor

Cliftonville edged out a tense game at Solitude as their Premier Intermediate League opponents refused to lie down.

The Reds looked to be cruising through after Rory Donnelly opened the scoring early on and Joe Gormley doubled the lead by half-time.

However, former Distillery midfielder Mark Cooling set up a nervy finish when he netted on 55 minutes.

Gormley restored the two-goal lead but Cooling again helped to keep the excitement alive when he sent in a cross that Reds defender Joe Gorman could only direct into his own net.

Institute 3-0 H&W Welders

There was no upset at the Brandywell as Stute eventually sealed their spot in the quarters.

Dean Curry's header looped into the top corner from Cormac Burke's corner to open the scores in the first half. It took until the 84th minute for Jamie McIntyre to scored from 25-yards and ease the nerves, while Conor Tourish's late header rounded off the scoring.

Limavady United 1-4 Crusaders

The Crues had their job all-but done by the break as Stephen Baxter's side eased into the quarter-finals.

Colin Coates opened the scoring just six minutes in and David Cushley and Jamie McGonigle had both converted by the time the half-time whistle sounded.

Ryan Doherty pulled one back for United on 50 minutes but his goal's status as a consolation was confirmed when Paul McElroy soon restored the three-goal lead.

Glenavon v Newry City (Wednesday, October 23)

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph