Linfield dismiss Verona’s £10k offer for Munster
Linfield have rejected a ‘ridiculous’ deadline day offer from an Italian club for striker Paul Munster.
Hellas Verona, who play in Italy’s third tier, are understood to have tabled a surprise £10,000 bid for goal-getter Munster, but he won’t be going anywhere until the end of the season.
The offer was swiftly turned down by the Windsor Park club — even though they already know that the player will leave in the summer for nothing.
Verona play in the third tier of Italian football and with the transfer window closing last night they and Munster will now have to wait for another six months before they are able to clinch a deal — although he could sign a pre-contract in the meantime.
“We were approached completely out of the blue by an agent who said Paul was wanted by an Italian club,” revealed Jeffrey.
“They put an offer in to us that wasn’t just derisory, it was pathetically ridiculous.
“We don’t want to stand in the way of any player, but we have got to think of the club first.
“Paul has made it known that he sees his future away from Linfield and as his long-term girlfriend lives in Sweden I can understand that, but he is 18 months into a two-year contract.”
Jeffrey has faced deadline day sniping for his players in the past, mainly when Queens Park Rangers were trying to sign Peter Thompson five years ago.
“For some bizzare reason this happens to us all the time at the end of transfer windows,” said Jeffrey.
Munster has been something of a globetrotter throughout his career. He previously played his football in Canada, Sweden and the Czech Republic before signing for Linfield in August 2008.
Almost half of Munster’s 102 appearances for Linfield have come as a substitute, but he has still managed to score 33 goals for the Blues.
Linfield’s signing of Nathan Hanley from Ballymena United was rubber stamped by the Irish FA yesterday and he will be added to the squad for Saturday’s Carling Premiership trip to Dungannon Swifts.
Meanwhile, Portadown may be facing UCD in the first round of the Setanta Sports Cup on February 21 rather than holders Bohemians.
Bohs boss Pat Fenlon has revealed that the club may not have enough players to defend the trophy and he also indicated that he is considering his position at the crisis-hit club, who have only four players — full-back Owen Heary, midfielder Glenn Cronin and goalkeepers Chris O'Connor and Barry Murphy — signed for the new season.
“I don't think we are going to be able to play the first game. We don't have a team,” he said.
“We can't train. We trained for two weeks and I then had to cancel it last week because all the staff are gone. You can't train without a physio or anybody else. That's where we stand at the moment.”
Setanta Sports Cup chairman Milo Corcoran was dismayed by the news that the competition might lose its holders, with UCD set to take their place.