Belfast Telegraph

Five-goal Andy Waterworth is star of show as Linfield run riot

Linfield 8 Moyola Park 0

By Alex Mills

Deadly Andy Waterworth last night helped himself to five goals as Linfield eased into the third round of the BetMcLean League Cup at Windsor Park.

Carl Frampton was the last man in action at the venue, and had this been a boxing match, the referee could well have stopped it long before the half-time whistle.

There was just no stopping Waterworth, who hit three of his goals in a devastating four-minute second-half burst.

His strike partner Michael O'Connor also got in on the scoring antics along with defender Mark Stafford and Stephen Fallon in what was merely a light workout for David Healy's boys.

Even though they bossed the game right from the off, the home fans had to wait 29 minutes for their first cheer of the night when Waterworth began his destruction.

The Blues carved open the Town defence on 12 minutes with an eye-catching inter-change involving Kirk Millar and Michael O'Connor, leaving debutant Jonathan Smith with a clear run at goal, but his low drive was beaten away by the outstretched glove of Marcin Farnoik.

A little piece of magic by Kirk Millar created another opening.

The jet-heeled winger whipped in a great cross from the right that O'Connor could only direct over the top.

Then, from Niall Quinn's free kick, big defender Mark Stafford joined his forwards only to see his effort loop well wide.

Moyola, under intense scrutiny, should have been behind on 27 minutes when the impressive Millar against picked out O'Connor, who shamefully headed wide.

Farnoik came to his team's rescue 60 seconds later, getting down brilliantly to block a low shot from Fallon, but the inevitable breakthrough did arrive moments later. Fittingly, Millar produced another delicious cross from the right, and this time Waterworth did the rest with the flick of his head.

The Blues should have been out of sight eight minutes before the break when the energetic O'Connor let fly with a stunning 20-yard drive that cannoned back off the crossbar.

And on 42 minutes, Quinn's delightfully weighted pass sent Fallon scampering the box only to see his low drive completely deceive Farnoik, but ricochet off a post.

Healy's boys did put the game to bed five minutes after the break.

Stafford's deep cross from the left was met by the leaping O'Connor and his header exploded past a stranded Farnoik.

Waterworth then began his one-man demolition act, ramming home three goals in a devastating four-minute spell, leaving the juniors down and out.

On 59 minutes he touched home a Millar corner kick, which was headed on by Jimmy Callacher, from practically on the goal line, before he flicked a Stafford cross into the bottom corner.

The cheering had hardly stopped when Fallon whipped in a low ball from the right and Waterworth simply had to touch over the line.

Stafford got the goal he richly deserved 10 minutes from time when he roared forward to power in another one of those tantalising crosses from Millar.

Waterworth then struck again on 88 minutes, romping through the middle to shoot low into the bottom corner.

Fallon then finished the job 60 seconds later when his blockbuster ballooned the net.

LINFIELD: Deane, Stafford, Callacher, Waterworth, O'Connor, Millar, Fallon, Smith (Stewart, 58 mins), Garrett, Quinn (Neilson, 58 mins), Casement.

Unused subs: Carroll, Clarke, Doyle, Mitchell, Reynolds.

MOYOLA PARK: Farnoik, McAllister, Harris (Morgan, 65 mins), McQuillan, McClure, Graham (Curry, 76 mins), Greer, Forrest, Quigg, Tolan, O McAuley (P McAuley, 61 mins).

Unused subs: Doey, Kelly.

Referee: Shane Andrews

Man of the match: Andy Waterworth

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph