Linfield chairman gives the latest on Paul Smyth's proposed move to QPR
Despite reports to the contrary, a fee has still not been agreed between Linfield and QPR for the transfer of Paul Smyth.
The 19 year-old attacker has been the subject of two bids from the English Championship side but reports emerged on Thursday evening that a deal had been agreed by the two clubs.
However, Linfield chairman Roy McGivern has rubbished those reports and put the onus on Smyth's suitors to follow-up with a third bid if they want to land the NI Under 21 international.
"I have heard the reports that a fee has been agreed but those are completely without foundation," McGivern told the Belfast Telegraph.
"We're waiting on QPR to come back to us. We received a second bid from the club and got back to them with a response but since Monday, we haven't heard from them. The ball's in their court.
"They made a good offer but it's short of our valuation and so we now wait and see if they will come back. It's unsettling for the player and unsettling for the club so if a deal is going to be done, we would like it done soon.
"Paul Smyth is still a Linfield player and will play against Ballymena tomorrow."
QPR's initial rejected bid was believed to be around £90,000 and any third bid is expected to be closer to the £150,000 mark.
Linfield have announced the signing of Northern Ireland U21 forward Louis Rooney but McGivern said he is not a replacement for Smyth as the club had been searching for another attacking option.
Belfast Telegraph Digital