Michael O'Connor set to seal Linfield exit amid Scotland links
Michael O'Connor's departure from Linfield is set to be confirmed.
The 20-year-old has been the subject of interest from Scottish Championship side Dundee, whose assistant manager is Northern Ireland coach Jimmy Nicholl, amongst other professional clubs. Scottish Premiership side Ross County have also been linked.
While his destination is as yet uncertain, he will be leaving Linfield this summer, having been left out of the club's squad for their Champions League first leg game against Rosenborg at Windsor Park on Wednesday.
Linfield chairman Roy McGivern had said last month that the Blues would consider offers for the player, who only has one year remaining on his contract.
"We are aware of interest in Michael from Dundee and other clubs from across the water," said McGivern. "We wouldn't want to lose Michael but I know he is an ambitious young player. He has one year left on his contract and if clubs want to make a bid we would have to consider it."
O'Connor joined the Blues from Finn Harps last summer and scored 11 goals in 37 appearances.
With only Andy Waterworth and Northern Ireland U21 international Shayne Lavery as recognised senior strikers, Linfield boss David Healy could perhaps look to the transfer market to replace O'Connor ahead of the new Danske Bank Premiership campaign.
Please log in or register with belfasttelegraph.co.uk for free access to this article.
Alternatively, inexperienced duo Daniel Reynolds and Brandon Doyle could step up for more regular senior action.
Belfast Telegraph Digital