Belfast Telegraph

Lurgan Celtic on a high after sinking Bangor

Irish Cup round-up

By Keith Bailie

Colin Malone's Lurgan Celtic made sure there would be no repeat of Bangor's glorious 1993 Irish Cup success this season.

The Seasiders recorded their only Irish Cup triumph 23 years ago by beating Ards, managed by Colin's brother Paul Malone, in the famous trilogy of finals, but it was the Hoops who booked a sixth round berth with a narrow 2-1 win at Knockramer Park.

Former Portadown midfielder Josh Barton gave the home side the lead in the 16th minute and, following Barry Walsh's equaliser, Aaron Haire grabbed the winner for Malone's men.

Bangor coach Garth Scates believes his side were unfortunate and hailed the efforts of Celtic goalkeeper Conor McCorry.

"I'm very disappointed because I thought the boys did well on a heavy pitch," said Scates.

"We had chance after chance but the Lurgan Celtic goalkeeper made some great saves. It could have been double figures with the chances we had.

"Fair play to their goalkeeper, but we need to be taking those chances.

"I can't fault the lads for the way they played. That's us out of the Irish Cup now and, as disappointing as it is, we need to carry this sort of performance into the league."

Elsewhere in Mid Ulster, there were wins for two other Championship 1 sides as Armagh City and Loughgall progressed.

Armagh defeated Portstewart 4-1 on penalties after a 2-2 draw, where Luke Bradley and David McClements struck to cancel out the two-goal lead handed to City by Stefan Lavery and Shea Campbell.

When Loughgall face Larne, the spectators are guaranteed goals and, after sharing 10 between them last time out, there were seven to go round this weekend.

Warner Mullan hit a brace for the Villagers with Aaron Walsh, Jamie Rea and Daniel Ryan all finding the net in a 5-2 win that saw Thomas Robinson and Guillaume Keke on target for Larne.

At Crystal Park, Banbridge Town went down to a 2-0 defeat to Carrick Rangers, for whom Miguel Chines and Daniel Kelly were on target.

Dungannon Swifts held on in a Stangmore Park thriller with Warrenpoint Town. Leading 3-0 through Alan Teggart, Andrew Mitchell and Conor Mullen, the Swifts were pegged back by Mark Hughes before Mitchell's second of the afternoon made it 4-1.

Staring down the barrel of elimination, Town hit back with late strikes through Martin Murray and Johnny McMurray - both of whom are on loan from Cliftonville - but couldn't do enough to force extra-time as Dungannon progressed to meet Crusaders.

Elsewhere, Pat McAllister's Sport & Leisure Swifts secured a dream showdown with the Reds by beating Institute.

McAllister's old side will travel to Glen Road Heights, which played host as Stute were rocked at the weekend.

Trailing 2-0 through strikes from Garbhan Friel and Ciaran Harkin, Sport & Leisure responded via Conor Glenholmes and Darren Gallagher ahead of Kevin Lynch hitting the extra-time winner in a tie that saw three penalties - one missed - and both visiting goalscorers sent off along with Swifts' Gavin Johnston.

PSNI claimed a 2-0 win over Tobermore United at Fortwilliam Park in an all-Championship 2 clash, with Kyle Agnew and Lukasz Adamczyk on target for the visitors, who will travel to Loughgall in the next round.

Manager Jamesie Kirk said: "It was as well as we've played recently. It was a tight bumpy pitch but we got the result in the end."

Crumlin Star are the only side from outside the Northern Ireland Football League left in the competition.

The Amateur League Premier Division club defeated Intermediate League opponents Oxford United Stars 3-2 at their home venue of The Cliff in Larne, with Steven Brown scoring an 89th-minute winner.

A second half brace from Ciaran Murphy gave Crumlin Star a 2-0 lead, before Londonderry club Oxford levelled thanks to a double from Kyle Curran, but Brown's last-gasp effort set-up a sixth round tie against Carrick Rangers at the Belfast Loughshore Hotel Arena.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph